Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Shortbed truck carrying quad

  1. #11
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goosesniper View Post
    Agreed. But Ive read some stories of the cables letting go and it ruins the gate. One year left on my lease. I think I will spend the $100 and get the dg brackets.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In the 2003 model year,GM and Ford were using "outsourced" (read Chinese) tailgate cables that were separating from the cable end brackets allowing the tailgate to drop and rest against the rear bumper causing damage. The recall lasted all year until every cable was replaced under warranty and tailgates were repaired (approx.affecting 220 of our customers,not sure how many Ford fixed). Once new cables were applied,the issue disappeared completely. I've carried my quad in the back with the tailgate down with no issues for many years. Just be sure that it's strapped down on all four corners with the proper weight straps.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #12
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goosesniper View Post
    Agreed. But Ive read some stories of the cables letting go and it ruins the gate. One year left on my lease. I think I will spend the $100 and get the dg brackets.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bike weighs @ 700lbs. So half that weight gets spread out to the 2 cables and 2 brackets. You actually have 4 load bearing areas. No way an ATV will damage any of them. You are more likely to cause damage on the bed of truck with that rack.
    I 'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

  4. #13
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Clearly the only solution is to get a new truck.......

  5. #14
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Each to their own. I would think most of the weight would be on the 2 cables. Can probably find out what those cables are rated for. I personally don't like any weight on the tailgate, for an extended period of time. The biggest risk is probably when driving it up into the box, as all the weight is on the end of the tailgate and your weight as well. I don't mind it open. The home made ones I saw the guy had put a stop in so couldn't get to window. Biggest thing would be to close the tailgate so you could pull a trailer.

  6. #15
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    When the ATV is on a tilt in the bed of the truck, I do believe the laws of physics would say that the weight would go more towards the back. Now with the rear tires sitting close to the edge of the tailgate even brings more weight to bear on the mounting points of the cables. But, to each their own, I classify it under the "hold my beer and watch this". I use a trailer or other equipment suited for what I do.
    We think you would be taking a big risk since the dynamic tension in the tailgate cables caused by uneven road surfaces could easily be several times the static tension. If transporting with a load on your tailgate is your only option then drive as if you were hauling a tub of nitroglycerin. We would have liked to have measured the dynamic tailgate cable tensions generated when trucks were driven down bumpy roads with various loads resting on the tailgate, but I could not find anyone willing to monitor the tension gauge while I drove.

  7. #16
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dythbringer View Post
    Clearly the only solution is to get a new truck.......
    I wish.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #17
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    When the ATV is on a tilt in the bed of the truck, I do believe the laws of physics would say that the weight would go more towards the back. Now with the rear tires sitting close to the edge of the tailgate even brings more weight to bear on the mounting points of the cables. But, to each their own, I classify it under the "hold my beer and watch this". I use a trailer or other equipment suited for what I do.
    We think you would be taking a big risk since the dynamic tension in the tailgate cables caused by uneven road surfaces could easily be several times the static tension. If transporting with a load on your tailgate is your only option then drive as if you were hauling a tub of nitroglycerin. We would have liked to have measured the dynamic tailgate cable tensions generated when trucks were driven down bumpy roads with various loads resting on the tailgate, but I could not find anyone willing to monitor the tension gauge while I drove.
    Agreed. I donít believe the cables can support the weight for an extended period. Thanks for your input.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #18
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    What truck/quad combo are you running?? I have a full size gmc with full crew cab so in other words the shortest of short boxes, my Honda rincon (biggest quad Honda makes) with oversized tire/rim kit still fits in the box, can’t close tailgate but tires are still in the box. I’m guessing you are running a small truck??
    Last edited by duckslayer; July 17th, 2018 at 08:34 AM.
    I love fishing but REALLY it is just a way to pass time until hunting season!!!!

  10. #19
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer View Post
    What truck/quad combo are you running?? I have a full size gmc with full crew cab so in other words the shortest of short boxes, my Honda rincon (biggest quad Honda makes) with oversized tire/rim kit still fits in the box, canít close tailgating but tires are still in the box. Iím guessing you are running a small truck??
    Short box Colorado


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #20
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goosesniper View Post
    Short box Colorado


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok ya figured must have been a smaller truck, good luck with whatever route you choose, hopefully works out for ya.
    I love fishing but REALLY it is just a way to pass time until hunting season!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •