Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: finally got deer on the cameras

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Default finally got deer on the cameras

me and my boy are hunting our "back up" bush more this season as he will be able to hunt on his own with his bow.. so we put in some deer lick blocks in the ground and put some deer 'caine as well.. got some pics of the a few doe and a few nice bucks.. my boy is having fun, seeing how to scout and how the work pays off... he said today " we should give them names like on the hunting video's".. lol.. i said sure, why not.. so we got 3 big bucks and we named them Curly Fry ( he has a very curved brow tine), Crazy Eight ( really nice, tall, wide main frame 8 pt) and Twiggie ( hard to tell exactly how many points, i figured between 12 and 14 points)... Twiggie was on our trail cam when it was set to video and i can't post the video, so i paused it and took a pic on my phone...lol.. here they are..

This is Curly Fry:

This is Crazy Eight:

This is Twiggie ( might be hard to tell here, but on the video we can see he has crab claws on both main beams and 3 or 4 split tines):

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Those are some great bucks! What are the dates on those? All within the last week?

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    Those are some great bucks! What are the dates on those? All within the last week?
    The pics with Curly Fry and Crazy Eight were from 2 days ago.... T wiggle was about 8 days ago...

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Nice. You and your boy will have some sleepless nights.
    How much deer cane do you put down and how often?
    "When you piss in the wind, you will get your feet wet."
    Deer Hunter

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

wanna adopt a older son by chance

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Good job at getting pics while their in velvet hard to get cam to get clear pics when bush is lush green and weird sun rays flowing in

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Nice pics thanks for posting
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Nice. You and your boy will have some sleepless nights.
    How much deer cane do you put down and how often?
    him and i both , and more sleepless nights as the season draws closer... in terms of the deer sweet lick block and a bottle of ready to use deer 'caine... i find a good spot close to a heavy used trail or deer run, maybe even edge of a field.. i dig a good sized hole to put the deer sweet lick block in and cover it back up with dirt.. don't go too deep, you want to top of the block to be just under the ground.. then once it's covered back up with dirt, i find some dead, decomposing stumps/limbs and place it over the area the block is in.. then pour the deer 'caine over the area, the logs, dirt, everything... they will literally eat all the stumps, then paw at the dirt.. the reason i pour it over logs, stumps or you could even use food ( oats, corn, etc) is to allow the block in the ground to degrade into the dirt... that block will saturate the ground with trace minerals and last quite a while.. i will usually refresh the area with deer 'caine once or twice a season...i have had huge success with this method.. i did this on many stand sites and will have deer hitting the area up to 2 years after putting in the block without refreshing the area with deer 'caine.. these 2 sites took a little bit as there has been very little rain to soak the ground and dissolve that block... i will probably refresh it just before season, depending on how it does.. a lot of crops still up in our area ( surrounded by corn , soy beans and wheat which should be off soon).. once more crops come off, it will help ...
    Last edited by buckluck_9pt; July 18th, 2018 at 07:55 AM.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by overtheir View Post
    wanna adopt a older son by chance
    lol... i get asked that almost every season... lol.. our area is loaded with deer, and some really nice mature bucks...

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js4fn View Post
    Good job at getting pics while their in velvet hard to get cam to get clear pics when bush is lush green and weird sun rays flowing in
    thanks.. i love this time of year just for seeing the bucks in velvet and watching them grow... it's nice, over time , to see new bucks come in but it's really nice to watch bucks grow over the course of the summer/ early fall... i am going to watch these guys close and see what they turn in to by start of season...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast