Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: finally got deer on the cameras

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

well, i did go out and do what i wanted to do but unfortunately the rain had started before i had a chance to video anything, so i will have to make the video in a week or so when the rains stop... the wheat is off so i was able to drive right back to the bush and pull that camera out of there, the crew should be in there soon to start harvesting trees... i did see a big mature doe on the way back on the edge of the corn field.. i checked the cameras in our bush we have our 2 mineral sites at and watched a little buck and another big mature doe browsing on beans in the field.. i had a few video's ( cameras are set to video for now) of a couple nice doe's and i had a pic of what looks like Crazy Eight again... i brought the trail camera i pulled from our main bush and took it to the new area we just got... based on my use of topographic maps and my Huntstand App, i was able to pinpoint one main area I wanted to focus on.. it's the far end of the new property and i chose this area because the bush really opens up.. when i was in there, i found a trail about 40 yards in the bush off the cut wheat field and man, it looks like a great spot.. even with the foilage on the trees, i can see quite a way in the bush .. this spot is fairly open, right on a heavily used four wheeler trail and it has some dense areas around it so this will be a good area.. i set my deer poppers out and my deer 'caine then mounted the camera, now we wait.. i apologize, really wanted to get a video but i will make a video when i go in to check the spot in about a week... will keep you all posted... here is the most recent pic of Crazy Eight.. looks like him, not the best angle but I am sure this is him..

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Right on. I have yet to see my target buck on my sites since January. But deer are definitely active on them. I use the dicalcium phosphate, trace mineral, stock feed salt mix which makes 252lbs for a little under $70 from my local feed store.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Right on. Great pics guys. I have to wait labor long weekend before I check my cameras again. I live too far from my Deer property. Can’t wait to go back.
    "When you piss in the wind, you will get your feet wet."
    Deer Hunter

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LowbanksArcher View Post
    Right on. I have yet to see my target buck on my sites since January. But deer are definitely active on them. I use the dicalcium phosphate, trace mineral, stock feed salt mix which makes 252lbs for a little under $70 from my local feed store.

I am going to try that mixture as well..have great success with the store bought minerals but it gets pricey.. how often do you have to replenish your sites and how much do you put at each set? Thanks

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buckluck_9pt View Post
    I am going to try that mixture as well..have great success with the store bought minerals but it gets pricey.. how often do you have to replenish your sites and how much do you put at each set? Thanks
    I try to make it out to replenish them every couple months during or just before a rainfall. I premix the stuff in buckets (i happen to use old kitty litter buckets that have a lid and have a stack of them ready to go). I pour about half a bucket at each spot. I'd say 6-8 liters. I don't know if that's too much or not enough, but I will say, one site that I've stopped adding mineral to since last fall still has deer coming by to check it out. I only know this from tracks, since my camera there was stolen.

A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

wow lots of deer
    It isn,t how you do it,its how you did it

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LowbanksArcher View Post
    I try to make it out to replenish them every couple months during or just before a rainfall. I premix the stuff in buckets (i happen to use old kitty litter buckets that have a lid and have a stack of them ready to go). I pour about half a bucket at each spot. I'd say 6-8 liters. I don't know if that's too much or not enough, but I will say, one site that I've stopped adding mineral to since last fall still has deer coming by to check it out. I only know this from tracks, since my camera there was stolen.

awesome, i will start to look for the supplies and try to make some.. love the deerlix and deer 'caine but it's pricey and then you have to worry about inventory / stock issues when stores run out... i had a site that i didn't replenish and deer were still hitting it almost 2 years later.. it was crazy... stuff works for sure... i will try my TSC store to see if they have anything..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123