Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: finally got deer on the cameras

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buckluck_9pt View Post
    him and i both , and more sleepless nights as the season draws closer... in terms of the deer sweet lick block and a bottle of ready to use deer 'caine... i find a good spot close to a heavy used trail or deer run, maybe even edge of a field.. i dig a good sized hole to put the deer sweet lick block in and cover it back up with dirt.. don't go too deep, you want to top of the block to be just under the ground.. then once it's covered back up with dirt, i find some dead, decomposing stumps/limbs and place it over the area the block is in.. then pour the deer 'caine over the area, the logs, dirt, everything... they will literally eat all the stumps, then paw at the dirt.. the reason i pour it over logs, stumps or you could even use food ( oats, corn, etc) is to allow the block in the ground to degrade into the dirt... that block will saturate the ground with trace minerals and last quite a while.. i will usually refresh the area with deer 'caine once or twice a season...i have had huge success with this method.. i did this on many stand sites and will have deer hitting the area up to 2 years after putting in the block without refreshing the area with deer 'caine.. these 2 sites took a little bit as there has been very little rain to soak the ground and dissolve that block... i will probably refresh it just before season, depending on how it does.. a lot of crops still up in our area ( surrounded by corn , soy beans and wheat which should be off soon).. once more crops come off, it will help ...
    another thing to remember, is to try to get this done just before a scheduled rain fall... the sooner rain soaks the ground , the quicker the block dissolves and spreads into the ground.. if it gets done in a dry stretch, like i did here, it may take a little longer to dissolve and deer won't hit it as quick and as often as they would otherwise..

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

You got some seriously nice deer there. Is this an established mineral site or new? I topped up my mineral sites (DIY mixture) around March and deer are using them consistently as is typical for this time of year. But it's tough trying to start one from scratch this late.
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LowbanksArcher View Post
    You got some seriously nice deer there. Is this an established mineral site or new? I topped up my mineral sites (DIY mixture) around March and deer are using them consistently as is typical for this time of year. But it's tough trying to start one from scratch this late.
    no both of these are brand new, about 3 weeks old.. which is exciting knowing it's not established yet and we already have multiple mature bucks hitting it.. we have one set up about 5 yards off a heavily used deer run.. the 2nd one is set up on a trail in the woods, set up on the "Y" of the trails as they fork ... have the mineral site right where they fork, so it's a good spot that is often used as a natural travel path from the surrounding soy bean field to the back of the bush... i didn't want to start it this late, but had a lot to do in regards to moving and setting up these stands.. i have a feeling it's going to be a good season..

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Great looking deer, nice to have a few target bucks to choose from. Congrats to you for mentoring your son, I did the same thing with my two boys many years ago and am proud to say they both enjoy to hunt/fish/icefish
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buckluck_9pt View Post
    him and i both , and more sleepless nights as the season draws closer... in terms of the deer sweet lick block and a bottle of ready to use deer 'caine... i find a good spot close to a heavy used trail or deer run, maybe even edge of a field.. i dig a good sized hole to put the deer sweet lick block in and cover it back up with dirt.. don't go too deep, you want to top of the block to be just under the ground.. then once it's covered back up with dirt, i find some dead, decomposing stumps/limbs and place it over the area the block is in.. then pour the deer 'caine over the area, the logs, dirt, everything... they will literally eat all the stumps, then paw at the dirt.. the reason i pour it over logs, stumps or you could even use food ( oats, corn, etc) is to allow the block in the ground to degrade into the dirt... that block will saturate the ground with trace minerals and last quite a while.. i will usually refresh the area with deer 'caine once or twice a season...i have had huge success with this method.. i did this on many stand sites and will have deer hitting the area up to 2 years after putting in the block without refreshing the area with deer 'caine.. these 2 sites took a little bit as there has been very little rain to soak the ground and dissolve that block... i will probably refresh it just before season, depending on how it does.. a lot of crops still up in our area ( surrounded by corn , soy beans and wheat which should be off soon).. once more crops come off, it will help ...
    Wow. Thanks for taking the time to share your method. I will definitely try it. I was just putting mineral/salt blocks on the surface, they did hit it pretty good, but it was mostly does, fawns and smaller bucks. . It’s on a main deer trail going to my corn/ soya rotation field. I will try the sweet lick and deer Cain like you explained. Again thanks.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Wow. Thanks for taking the time to share your method. I will definitely try it. I was just putting mineral/salt blocks on the surface, they did hit it pretty good, but it was mostly does, fawns and smaller bucks. . It’s on a main deer trail going to my corn/ soya rotation field. I will try the sweet lick and deer Cain like you explained. Again thanks.
    anytime deerhunter... best of luck and let me know how it goes.. i normally get doe's and fawns when i do this too, at least early in the year .... which is great, like they say, always scout for doe's , they will bring the bucks later in the season... i am hoping in this case, we have a number of mature bucks and mature doe's, so i hope having a good stock of mature doe's will keep some of these mature bucks once the pre-rut hits... crossing our fingers... i might do a short video on how i do my deer sweetlix and deer 'caine set up, just for an fyi.. if i do , i will let you now.. i will post the url of the video here on a new thread..

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Hey - Nice bucks. I bet you are counting days to Oct 1.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    Hey - Nice bucks. I bet you are counting days to Oct 1.
    i sure am.. heck, i am counting down the days until i go check my trail cam's again...lol..

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

A video would be great. Again thanks.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    A video would be great. Again thanks.
    sounds good.. i am going to check things out in the early morning, it will be a good time as it will be a little break in the rain...i am going to pull one camera out from our main bush as the wheat is off now and the farmer has a crew going back to do a select harvest on some trees and i don't want the camera damaged or stolen.. we just got a new property that backs onto our back up bush which is instrumental for us as this gives us the entire back half of a large wood lot... also key is that this in one of only 2 big wood lots in the nearby area so that is great for us.. i went to buy some deer 'caine and my large 25 lb deerlix block but they were out of the block so this video will be a little bit on how I scout a new area, how i do my mineral site AND somewhat of a product review on the Addiction Deer Poppers.. they are like a mineral puck, about 5 in a pack.. i got the acorn flavor ( rather than the corn or apple) as we have no apple tree's or corn in our area ... we do , however, have a large number of mature oak tree's so acorn seemed to be the obvious choice.. i will do this video and get the url up here as soon as i can tomorrow or Monday.. thanks all..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast