Thread: Helix 5 Erratic depth marking?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Helix 5 Erratic depth marking?

Hi, I am very confused.
    I have installed a helix 5 in my new boat and I am having problems with erratic depth marking when on the water. The unit will mark normal depth , then go to 3 feet reading and then back to normal depth and so on. When installing the transducer cable I zip tied it to the bunch of cables coming from my driving console with the other cables including the speedometer cable and power cable. Would this bundling be causing interference with the unit? Before installing the unit it worked fine on my other boat.
    Thanks in advance.
    Life is about kicking butt, not kissing it!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I have had erratic depth caused by two issues. First is air bubbles caused by prop wash, second is power transfer from battery cables and radio cables (the latter caused screen blackouts also). The first issue was resolved by epoxying the transducer inside the hull at the lowest point (Google 'shoot-thru hull' for some examples), the second issue was resolved by re-routing the transducer cable to the other side of the boat from the power/radio cables. One last note, weed beds and fast moving water can cause this issue also.
    National Association for Search and Rescue

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

thank you... seems to have been the second scenario... too close to power cables
    Life is about kicking butt, not kissing it!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

You have interference issues. If the graph is hooked up to the trolling motor battery is a no no this will cause you issues. If the graph power line is routed next to trolling motor power line you will have issues.
    Follow me on Instagram at ONE_TRACC_MIND