Thread: woodcock and upland tips

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Default woodcock and upland tips

hey all.
    back in the wellington north area from sudbury and got hooked on upland hunting up there. i know its different down here but any tips on woodcock or other upland birds down here? i'll be hitting county forests, etc. ive seen birds this spring here and there on my walks but never hunted woodcock... are there pheasants around here other than conestoga lake's release program?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Woodcock hunting.... either get a dog or make friends with someone who has one. Hard enough to find them when alive near impossible after they are downed.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Leads by example

User Info Menu

hey all.
    back in the wellington north area from sudbury and got hooked on upland hunting up there. i know its different down here but any tips on woodcock or other upland birds down here? i'll be hitting county forests, etc. ive seen birds this spring here and there on my walks but never hunted woodcock... are there pheasants around here other than conestoga lake's release program?
    We get a good flight of woodcock in southern Ontario every fall, county forests with the proper habitat will hold them and some grouse as well. As for pheasants Hullett marsh also has a pheasant release program that is free to hunt. They run a pheasant challenge contest every year to help fund it. I recommencement if you hunt there to buy the tickets as it will help ensure the endangered program keeps going in the future. You didn't say if you had a dog or not but as said by F&F a good hunting dog is invaluable on a upland hunt. Good luck this season.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

thanks all! stoked for september.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Get to the county forests early before all the other hunters get there! Woodcock hunting is fantastic but they are hit and miss you almost have to hunt everyday to catch the flight in really good upland cover which seems more difficult to find nowadays. Good luck to you!