Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Salmon in the river already? Can it be??

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutSlayer View Post
    I have fished these majestic salmon in rivers on the east coast. It seems they love clean cold rivers. With global warming, run off problems, deforestation of riverbanks etc, I have to wonder if any of our Lake Ontario rivers will ever be ready for Atlantic Salmon. It seems Browns and Bows can manage in the warmer waters. Stock them fish!
    Sure thing, but that's not keeping the "useless platoon" employed" lol.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I second the idea of upping the bow stockings, it only makes sense to stock what’s working and giving the best returns.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    I second the idea of upping the bow stockings, it only makes sense to stock what’s working and giving the best returns.
    Did you know stocking fish on top of a successfully reproducing river will destroy the population .. most of the bows you see are naturally reproduced

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

That's not true Mark, especially if you get your eggs by stripping returning wild adults. You know, the way we've been doing with chinooks since the 80s.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
    That's not true Mark, especially if you get your eggs by stripping returning wild adults. You know, the way we've been doing with chinooks since the 80s.
    then why is the LOMU taking fish from the Ganny to stock your hatchery fish .. every year you take eggs in the same spot over and over again ... your fish don't stage .. Why are they adding self producing salmon to your so called wild eggs .

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mark270wsm View Post
    then why is the LOMU taking fish from the Ganny to stock your hatchery fish .. every year you take eggs in the same spot over and over again ... your fish don't stage .. Why are they adding self producing salmon to your so called wild eggs .
    MNR strips wild fish for future stocking because doing so does not compromise the existing wild fish gene pool. Fish stray widely from one river to the next, so there is no problem in collecting eggs from the same spot year after year. This is done by different fisheries management agencies all over the world, and it has been done this way for decades because it does not have any effect on wild fish whatsoever. Your suggestion that it will destroy wild populations is complete rubbish.

Finally, I have no idea what "my fish" you're referring to. I do not own any fish. Say what?
    Last edited by Symmetre; August 21st, 2018 at 08:46 AM.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Yadda yadda yadda, who cares about biased sources like the wild fish conservancy and groups like them that get money for preparing one study after another, instead of producing actual results? MNR, OFAH and the whole atlantic salmon program is full of people who talk about what needs to be studied next and how we should see big things in another 10 years ... yet they have produced zero results in 35 years. The only time they suggest there's a result of any kind is when it's time to apply for another grant so they can keep themselves employed.

And enough of twisting things around to distract from the main point in all of this, which is that atlantic salmon are a complete and total failure.

Yesterday it rained like crazy. Today, I expect atlantics to be swarming up the rivers like crazy. I'm going to go fishing and see how many atlantics I catch. Do you think I can limit out in an hour? Do you think they'll be hitting dry flies?

Or will it be like it always is ... rivers are full of chinooks and rainbows, and so few atlantics you can count the whole return on one hand?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Anyone see any pinks anymore? A rare sight back when I was hitting the east tribs hard in the 80's.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast