Thread: Motor position for transportation

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Motor position for transportation

What is the right motor position for transportation boat on the trailer? Should it be all the way up or all the way down?
    The motor's manual doesn't say it clearly, but from the drawing it seems like it should be all the way up. However, I noticed that when the motor all the way up, there is some gap allowing the motor to move (shake) significantly up and down. On the other hand, if motor is all the way down it will sit on the thrust rod, which is not quite thick, and may damage it.
    During my first outing with the new boat I noticed that there are few badly uneven section on the HWY 400 and 401 where the boat and motor vibrate or even jump up significantly. So the question seems to be important to me.
    Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

What size motor are you talking about ? The best bet for larger motors is a transom saver. I have always trailered small outboards with the motor down......as long as itís not in danger of hitting the road.
    Last edited by rick_iles; July 31st, 2018 at 12:38 PM.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply!
    I'm talking about 20 HP motor. Does it really need any kind of support? But again I was very surprised how rough are 400 snd 401 at some spots before I got the boat.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
    Thanks for the reply!
    I'm talking about 20 HP motor. Does it really need any kind of support? But again I was very surprised how rough are 400 snd 401 at some spots before I got the boat.
    It's not so much the motor that needs the support, but the transom needs it. Boats arent designed to carry that dry weight on the transom. It puts a lot of stress on the back end?
    Last edited by Bushmoose; July 31st, 2018 at 05:19 PM.
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I use a transom saver on my boat. 14' Princecraft V Series with a Honda 25hp.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Transom saver is money well spent.. the motor won't move at all.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
    What is the right motor position for transportation boat on the trailer? Should it be all the way up or all the way down?
    The motor's manual doesn't say it clearly, but from the drawing it seems like it should be all the way up. However, I noticed that when the motor all the way up, there is some gap allowing the motor to move (shake) significantly up and down. On the other hand, if motor is all the way down it will sit on the thrust rod, which is not quite thick, and may damage it.
    During my first outing with the new boat I noticed that there are few badly uneven section on the HWY 400 and 401 where the boat and motor vibrate or even jump up significantly. So the question seems to be important to me.
    Thank you!
    Head for Canadian Tire's marine section and pick up a transom saver and long tie-down strap hooked on both ends. Hook the tie down on each trailer spring bracket and around the lower unit to keep the motor from popping out over rough roads. It's the best $80 you'll ever spend.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Thanks to all! I appreciate your replies. Going to buy a transom saver.