Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At the range testing out shooting positions .223

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I looked at the price of Bipods and shooting sticks and... well being a frugal guy, with a small block plane..off I go to Home Depot and buy an 8Ft piece of 1" X 2" clear birch. I also pick up 2" 1/4" stainless 1/4" bolt, 4 SS washers and a SS wing nut. Total cost $18.00. Few hours with a block plane, sand paper and drill bit and made this.

The good thing about it is the Bipod configurations can be high for kneeling, or low for sitting in turkey chair (coyote). As I have learned from you Frank, set up in expected direction of travel from woods. The Bipod range of swing is very good for set up and I switch back and forth between winter white paint (Spray) and camo spray paint when needed. I have since made a carry strap to throw over my shoulder.

Total height is 4ft and it can scissor to any height I need, plus uneven ground has little or no effort in it usability. It can fit in the tow behind sled for snow machine, or just on the foot rail.

Shooting Sticks.jpgShooting Sticks.jpg
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    So you don't think that circle x scope would help eh?
    I might pick one up anyway just to give it a try...
    There's always a reason to try a new scope!
    I have a few scopes now with a circle-x reticle, and several with the multi-x style. To be honest, when trying to shoot small groups, I find the circle-x a distraction. Usually you can use the circle-x as a type of drop compensator, so that could help for longer range shooting. But the problem you seem to be describing is related to keeping the cross-hairs stable, and a different reticle won't do anything to improve that.
    Anyway, the groups you posted are pretty good in my opinion, considering you were using mostly hunting-style shooting positions. To consistently make a (good) 200 yard + shot on coyote-sized game, if possible, I would go with the prone position with some sort of decent support under the rifle.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    There's always a reason to try a new scope!
    I have a few scopes now with a circle-x reticle, and several with the multi-x style. To be honest, when trying to shoot small groups, I find the circle-x a distraction. Usually you can use the circle-x as a type of drop compensator, so that could help for longer range shooting. But the problem you seem to be describing is related to keeping the cross-hairs stable, and a different reticle won't do anything to improve that.
    Anyway, the groups you posted are pretty good in my opinion, considering you were using mostly hunting-style shooting positions. To consistently make a (good) 200 yard + shot on coyote-sized game, if possible, I would go with the prone position with some sort of decent support under the rifle.
    True my issue is not being able to hold the cross hairs steady...... but I am thinking with a Circle X style, as long as I can get the coyote vitals in the middle of that circle when I squeeze off the shot, it should be a hit or at least that is my thought... something worth trying?
    I used to be able to get those cross hairs settled on the vitals pretty quick and steady, now it seems like I can't do that with the same confidence anymore....those cross hairs seem to move around too much which is dropping my confidence level. (causing me to second guess when squeezing that trigger)
    Going to be out practicing over the next few weeks... Hopefully I can find something that brings that confidence level back to what it used to be.

Prone position usually isn't an option for the type of terrain I hunt.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Might be a stupid question, but have you ever considered just lowering the magnification? I find sometimes it's a psychological thing when at high magnification - you see every tiny movement, and that makes you feel like you are moving like crazy, then you try to compensate..... At lower magnification you don't notice the small movements as much, so you don't focus on them. It's similar to what you are saying about using the circle-x reticle.
    Anyway, I don't think you have much to worry about. You seem to be a very successful hunter. Just the fact that you are out practicing from hunting positions is making you a better shooter, and it's more than most people do. The number of people can actually make a 4-500 yard shot on a coyote from a seated position on a consistent basis is probably pretty small.
    Last edited by rf2; August 1st, 2018 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    Might be a stupid question, but have you ever considered just lowering the magnification? I find sometimes it's a psychological thing when at high magnification - you see every tiny movement, and that makes you feel like you are moving like crazy, then you try to compensate..... At lower magnification you don't notice the small movements as much, so you don't focus on them. It's similar to what you are saying about using the circle-x reticle.
    Anyway, I don't think you have much to worry about. You seem to be a very successful hunter. Just the fact that you are out practicing from hunting positions is making you a better shooter, and it's more than most people do. The number of people can actually make a 4-500 yard shot on a coyote from a seated position on a consistent basis is probably pretty small.
    You make a good point about the lower magnification... I do notice that when it's cranked up I see the cross hairs move a lot, but I put it on a lower power, it does help me get on target quicker and don't notice the movement near as much...
    I just did some reloads today, I hope to get out and practice some more a little later on in the week...Going to make a set of shooting sticks with 3 legs and take it out with me. See if it is practical in hunting conditions or if it's a PIA.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12