Thread: Cow Moose, Bows Only Tag...any tips?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Cow Moose, Bows Only Tag...any tips?

So one of my group members has drawn a Cow, Bows Only tag. This will be the first moose hunt for all of our members, so lots to learn here.

Our area is very thick for the most part, although there are some fairly recently selective logged areas, plenty of swamp, some creeks, beaver floods and small lakes.

Any tips, experience, or advice would be great. Specifically in regards to Cow moose hunting techniques and bow cow moose hunting would be great. Use of calling, do you sit and wait, move around? Any input would be great.

Cheers
    Smitty

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Done it lots..secret is to intercept them along waterways and pinch points. Calling is useless and most often they tear off other way. Set up in a natural funnel and wait. It’s possible and I’ve had some decent success. If you have some decent amount of days to hunt it’s most likely going to be successful. I’ve had good success on old skidder trails and pinch points at beaver dams and steep geographical features that push em to walk in a specific area. Set up and wait, best advice I can give.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Like biggamer says, natural funnels near water, find a good spot with sign and sit. Calling does not work at all for cows, in my experience. Cows are always near water for safety.
    If you can find clay, you will find cows, they are natural salt licks and cows and their calves hit them frequently.
    Get in on your watch early, cows move at dawn and dusk, if you do see them in the open, they are usually moving from one cover to the next.
    Good luck, spend as much time learning as you can.

"Hold my beer and watch this"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by biggamer View Post
    Done it lots..secret is to intercept them along waterways and pinch points. Calling is useless and most often they tear off other way. Set up in a natural funnel and wait. It’s possible and I’ve had some decent success. If you have some decent amount of days to hunt it’s most likely going to be successful. I’ve had good success on old skidder trails and pinch points at beaver dams and steep geographical features that push em to walk in a specific area. Set up and wait, best advice I can give.
    Excellent advice.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice guys.

Smitty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Calling for cows can be effective, by calling like a calf in distress, cows are very protective and curious when it comes to calf distress calls.