Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Norfolk pheasant hunt

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Default Norfolk pheasant hunt

So thinking of picking up a license this year. For those that hunt actively the pheasant hunt lets talk either in private or open forum.
    Typically don't get down there till later in the season as I follow the woodcock south and never really bothered with the permit. Thing is ran into enough encounters that got me tempted to pick up a permit. Ya I know the best way not to find game is buy a license but thinking what the heck.
    So anybody here hunt it up?
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yup. Success is mostly about timing.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

How do you get your permit? Spoke to a gal on the phone and she'll be sending me an email seems they don't go on sale till sept 1 but she said she is a trainee so doesn't know for certain.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I think you can apply by mail. They used to mail out renewals for people who had previously had licenses but last year they didn't.

When I initially got mine (and again last year) I drove down to Delhi. You need to have your hunting license on you.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    How do you get your permit? Spoke to a gal on the phone and she'll be sending me an email seems they don't go on sale till sept 1 but she said she is a trainee so doesn't know for certain.
    It's been many years since I hunted pheasants, but all you had to do at that time was go to the township office or local license issuer and ask for a township license to hunt pheasants and rabbits. All the birds were pen raised and were released in designated areas a few times through the season. There used to be maps available that showed the release sites. Don't know if that is still the norm or not.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by delmer View Post
    It's been many years since I hunted pheasants, but all you had to do at that time was go to the township office or local license issuer and ask for a township license to hunt pheasants and rabbits. All the birds were pen raised and were released in designated areas a few times through the season. There used to be maps available that showed the release sites. Don't know if that is still the norm or not.
    They got a good online presents to the regs and info, the only thing is no online purchase availability. Hate driving at the best of times so looking for a mail or online route.
    So why you give it up?

Elite Member

User Info Menu

As Walsh said it’s all about timing and having a good dog down there. From my experience hunting Norfolk pheasants, they release on a weekly basis but rotate between property’s. So it’s kind of a gamble which property’s you choose to hunt that day. But I have experienced success down there and throw in the woodcock that frequent the property’s, and it keeps me coming back. For me buying the mandatory township license is just a matter of leaving a bit early on my first trip down there and stopping in at the hardware store in Delhi and buying it.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I know this neighbour that hunted the norfolk bushes last fall and he told me there was lots of ticks. He was covered as well as his dogs. I don't know what type of tick but thats what his experience was . Not to scare anyone because I haven't been there to confirm this. Have you guys found this to be true?
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Tick infested some areas worse than others. Had one imbedded 2 years ago, had to get Dr. to dig it out. Was a deer tick and it took 6 months to get the results back. Took the meds before the results were back, turned out clear. Don't go without prevention for you and the dog.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tom gobble View Post
    I know this neighbour that hunted the norfolk bushes last fall and he told me there was lots of ticks. He was covered as well as his dogs. I don't know what type of tick but thats what his experience was . Not to scare anyone because I haven't been there to confirm this. Have you guys found this to be true?
    Ticks are horrendous and the area is not for the faint of heart. That being said with proper protection nothing to be concerned with. Hunted for years and brushed many a tick off the dogs after the hunt none on me though I also swap out my clothes at the end of the hunt and put on fresh attire for the drive home.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast