Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Norfolk pheasant hunt

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Yes Norfolk country is ground zero for ticks. Highly recommend tick protection products for both human and dogs if heading out there.
    Last edited by fishhawk; August 1st, 2018 at 07:04 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

That right there would scratch it from my list of places to hunt. My dogs are protected, people not so much. I have 2 friends who have contracted Lymes now. I'm getting close to paranoid about it myself.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    So why you give it up?
    Well, I guess it was because the crowds got too big, and it got to the point where I didn’t think it safe for myself or my Springer. I hunted them in the early 80’s, but gave it up by the end of the decade. Everyone got to know the release areas and the schedule, and trucks would line the roadways in the dark waiting for legal light the day after their release. Most of the birds would not flush, and chose to run for cover. So, when your dog was working a scent into a thicket, some guy on the other side was shooting at a running bird, often close to your direction. I saw guys arguing over downed birds that did flush after they both shot at it. The releases were always on LPCA properties, so it was open to anyone to hunt. After one day of being chased around, the birds that managed to survive were usually deep in the woods, on private property. The cycle would repeat itself on a weekly basis for the first few weeks of the season. It was basically a free for all, and I decided I wanted no part of it.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Hasn't been like that recently, but I would give the opener a miss.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Weekends would probably be busy there.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

So looks like I can apply via mail. Sent me an application and a payment authorization form thing is didn't disclose the fee . Hope it's not one of those things if you have to ask the price you can't afford it So waiting on a reply back but any idea what a non resident license cost?
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If you have to ask....

Can't remember off the top of my head but it's about the price of a couple of birds.

"The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    That right there would scratch it from my list of places to hunt. My dogs are protected, people not so much. I have 2 friends who have contracted Lymes now. I'm getting close to paranoid about it myself.
    I look at it this way. I'm more concerned with the drive as there is a great incident of death and injury on the road. Also what you got there 100 000 residents living 24/7 in the area and the cases reported are few.
    However if it discourages some from participating more for me.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    Me too Terry:

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...es-london-teen

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by welsh View Post
    If you have to ask....

Can't remember off the top of my head but it's about the price of a couple of birds.

So it looks like the fee is $30.00.........application and fee in the mail see you in October

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast