Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Norfolk pheasant hunt

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Ticks and Lyme disease scare the heck out of me.
    I hunted Norfolk every year till the ticks came on the scene.I know too many people affected.
    I gave up on turkey for the same reason.Call me a woose but I will take up ptarmigan hunting if it means no ticks.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Couliewalker View Post
    Ticks and Lyme disease scare the heck out of me.
    I hunted Norfolk every year till the ticks came on the scene.I know too many people affected.
    I gave up on turkey for the same reason.Call me a woose but I will take up ptarmigan hunting if it means no ticks.
    I feel the same way. Haven't turkey hunted in 2 years now and that is definitely part of why.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

The same people who buy lottery tickets knowing they have a one in a million chance to win figure them or their dogs won’t get sick with ticks when ur chances are a lot better than one in a million.
    A friend who lives south of Hamilton spent a small fortune on his dog due to an embedded tick

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have hunted down there for years. In the last five or so seasons, I've had one tick bite.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Couliewalker View Post
    The same people who buy lottery tickets knowing they have a one in a million chance to win figure them or their dogs won’t get sick with ticks when ur chances are a lot better than one in a million.
    A friend who lives south of Hamilton spent a small fortune on his dog due to an embedded tick

And my husband spent a week on daily intravenous antibiotics due to tick bites.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by welsh View Post
    I have hunted down there for years. In the last five or so seasons, I've had one tick bite.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    One tick bite is one more than I would tolerate... However ticks are everywhere so perhaps norfolk is worse than most protect yourselves and dogs everywhere you go...
    Endeavour to Persevere

Just starting out

User Info Menu

They are discussing bringing back the Lyme disease vaccination for humans.

I got it in the early 90’s, I think they pulled it around 1995.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If there was a lymes vaccine available I would gladly pay for one.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

They are discussing bringing back the Lyme disease vaccination for humans.

I got it in the early 90’s, I think they pulled it around 1995.
    If this is true, why did they make it not available anymore? I am sure many will be willing to pay for it.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    If this is true, why did they make it not available anymore? I am sure many will be willing to pay for it.
    There used to be a vaccine called LYMErix, which was available to people for several years in the 1990s before being taken off the market in 2002. The drug was originally shelved, in part, because of fears around side-effects, which were reported as including joint pain and arthritis. But one of the researchers involved says those side-effects were not proven.

"We could have prevented hundreds of thousands of cases of Lyme disease had that vaccine been deployed all these years," said Sam Telford, who was part of the original research and development team for the LYMErix vaccine.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/...back-1.4671765

just go to google to find out more.
    Last edited by jaycee; August 21st, 2018 at 10:49 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast