Thread: 2018 Rut Predictions SW Ontario

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default 2018 Rut Predictions SW Ontario

Trying to decide what week for controlled, not much corn on our properties this year so thinking of trying to hit the early rut instead of waiting for crops to come off. 92b for reference.

Whats your strategy? Anyone follow Lunar phases?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If it was me, I’d hunt the November hunt if I hunted alone and just sat in a stand. If group hunting, the late season would be best for doing drives.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

We are sitters more than pushers for sure, we do a push on the way out to the last man on sit.

Was wondering if anyone has seen an early or late prediction for the beginning of rut. Or is early November just a staple...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The rut is pretty much the same time every year. It’s influenced by the length of the days. The weather will dictate how the deer are moving.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Second week for us first always too green and warm with flies

Something weird seen two small fawns yesterday still spotted this 92b

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

The peak of the rut is in full swing from the second half of the first week of November into the first half of the second week. The week before is the heaviest pre-rut activity, rubbing and scraping, the week following the rut seems to be lock down or wondering looking for additional does to breed. Scientifically it is driven by the amount of daylight which has an affect on a bucks hormones levels. Those dates can shift a few days in one direction or the other. The biggest factor weather has on the rut is in the amount of daytime movement. In heavily pressured areas the majority of rut activity will still be nocturnal.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    The rut is pretty much the same time every year. Itís influenced by the length of the days. The weather will dictate how the deer are moving.
    Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Thumbup

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    The rut is pretty much the same time every year. Itís influenced by the length of the days. The weather will dictate how the deer are moving.
    X2 some years they're running harder but they're always running. I hunt 1st week of November

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

i like december more when there are less people out there but november seems best to shoot the deer before someone else does. i also liked november because thats usually the saturday when the corn went down. deer moved alot more then..