Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustration with replacement batteries

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Frustration with replacement batteries

When I bought my Skidoo Grand Touring the battery lasted 7 or 8 years. When I bought my 350 Honda ATV the battery lasted about the same length of time. Neither battery saw one iota of routine maintenance or upkeep. They sat outside in the garage in the off season with not so much as a recharging.
    Now, I've had to finally replace them. The replacement battery lasted about 2 years on the snowmachine and 3 years on the ATV. These batteries also saw frequent charging to maintain them along with a battery saver connected when not in use. The ATV battery was also brought into my basement during the winter off-season so it wouldn't freeze.
    So what gives with these things? Are you guys experiencing the same short-lived life span too?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Yes, I am experiencing the exact same thing with my 350 Honda ATV! I never did anything for the previous battery and it was fine until it completely died after probably a decade. The replacement gets babied and I still find it dead sometimes. Piece of junk! I wish Northstar made ATV batteries.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Funny you mention it had to replace the jeep battery yesterday barely 4 years old and without any warning up and died.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Made in China !!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

My original battery (AGM type) for my King Quad lasted only a couple years, but that was because of improper initial activation by the dealer (Suzuki even put out a service bulletin to dealers about it). My replacement is still in the machine 8 years later. I believe that batteries are one of those things that you get what you paid for.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Batteries don't just die...most time they are murdered.

Buy cheap, get cheap. Now I didn't say inexpensive I said cheap.

For the guys with the battery chargers/tenders that are having to battery die on them two questions.
    1) What is the amp/Hr rating on your battery?
    2) What ampere is your charger( or what is it set to), and is it a bulk charger or a three/four phase charger?
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have watched very carefully but I have almost bought exclusively Canadian Tire Cheap batteries now known as Certified and Walmart Every ready and Energizer and I am almost positive that they last only half the time.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I guess I was lucky back a while. I got a real good price on an 86 Honda 350. No spark. Couldn't figure it out. So into the shop it went for a complete check and repair. Well it turned out the sprag bearing had exploded and taken out the stator winding. It needed a new battery too, It was like $130. I've only ever charged it once in 7 years, still going strong. Not sure of the brand offhand. How much are you guys paying for these batteries now?

Cheers

Member for Life

User Info Menu

YUASA batteries are made in Japan and sold at Honda dealers for use in their products,exclusively. The rest are Chinese garbage,especially,the ones sold at Canadian Tire and WalMart. Our Honda dealer said that their batteries should only be charged using a 2 amp trickle charge or less and don't be in a hurry.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Our Honda dealer said that their batteries should only be charged using a 2 amp trickle charge or less and don't be in a hurry.
    There is the best advise you can get. 10% of the Amp/Hr rating or "less".

We have 200 and 100 Amp/Hr batteries in the Tacoma and 4Runner. They only get 6 and 2.5 amp trickle charged when sitting for weeks. In 15 years we have only had two batteries in the 4runner.
    Last edited by Snowwalker; August 3rd, 2018 at 09:48 AM.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast