Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: caught someone

  1. #1
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default caught someone

    ADVERTISEMENT
    so, although i have no worries about posting the pics of the guy and his dogs we caught on our trail camera, i decided to delete the post and pics UNTIL i find out all the information from the landowner.. i am not worried as we have a great relationship with him and i have informed him ( before we had pics) that tracks were going in and out of that bush and he was shocked and stated nobody has permission in there.. now, we got a new piece that butts up to this spot and he did say he gave one guy ( who has the house on the property) permission to cut wood in there.. not sure if it's this guy in the pics i have, but it could be.. this is our first year ( we have been hunting his properties with sole exclusive hunting permission for 15 years) having permanent stands in there so he could have been in there for years and not realized we hunt it... i will ask the landowner and at very least, make sure he is aware of him being there... plus, if this guy talks to the landowner thinking WE may be trespassing, he can clear the air letting him know we do in fact, have permission to hunt there which , in itself, could resolve the issue of him being in there... who knows. but i will update once i find out everything...

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    You're almost in a "no win" situation? I would tread very very gently with the land owner when asking about this guy and complaining about the dogs? There might be a fine line between the dogs just out for a fun filled gallop with their dad vs them running deer? Most land owners I have dealt with regarding hunting don't want to get involved with disagreements and will just shut everything down?
    wouldn't consider it a no win situation..we know someone is in there other than us and the landowner gave permission to one person being in there..i believe the landowner has every right to know who is on their property at any given time.. i am not going to call him a trespasser or tell him his dogs are running deer as it comes off wrong and i am not going to let ego or attitude ruin a good thing.. this is our first year with permanent stands so he might not have realized we've been in there hunting until he saw the cameras and stands.. now, even though i won't tell him about his dogs running deer, i do know it's against the law and it's a safety issue for me and my boy.. i don't know these dogs and they don't know me. my main safety issue is i don't want to shoot and trail a deer and walk up on these dogs.. i have no idea if they are aggressive or not.. this also isn't an issue of a fun day galloping with their owner and having fun.. i have watched them at least twice chase down deer and tear through the bush in pursuit of them... and i have had them run all around the area while i am in stand and not once, in person or on camera, have i ever seen them with their owner until now... it's against the law to allow your dogs to run loose in any bush land that is occupied with deer... does the landowner know this? probably not.. does the owner of the dog know this? probably not... but we have had exclusive rights to hunt there for 15 years and we told the landowner from day one that we would let him know if anyone else is in there .. there is so much trespassing and poaching now a days that it is vital to keep those lines of communication open with the landowner.. it's their job to decide to handle that, and not us... i am not going to get upset and tell the landowner to say anything.. again, it would be nice if this guy could use another trail further away from our stands and mineral site, but that's up to the landowner on his own to decide if and when and what to say... but we have worked so hard to get and keep a great relationship with the landowner and we don't want it ruined by anyone else either.. i will simply show him the pics of the guy and state this is the guy and his dogs that are in there...

  4. #3
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    buckluck - you said: "its against the law to allow dogs to run loose in any bush land that is occupied with deer". Really?

  5. #4
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roper View Post
    buckluck - you said: "its against the law to allow dogs to run loose in any bush land that is occupied with deer". Really?
    Around here, you can’t allow a dog to run at large.....period !

  6. #5
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roper View Post
    buckluck - you said: "its against the law to allow dogs to run loose in any bush land that is occupied with deer". Really?
    absolutely.... this is taken right from the hunting regulations ... if you get caught letting your dogs run free in any wood land inhabited by deer ( in this area) you can be charged ( during the off season)... if you get caught letting your dogs run free in any wood land inhabited by deer and they are caught running deer, you the owner, can faces charges if you the owner, do not have an appropriate hunting license and you do not have a license for your dogs.. you can use dogs to hunt deer under those laws if you are accompanying your dog(s).. you can use dogs to track deer so long as it is leashed.. here is a recent story of a dog who was let off their leash on an outdoor walk and chased deer, owners thankfully got only a warning but could have been charged..

    https://www.today.com/pets/pup-gets-...n-deer-t127185

    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...arns-1.2489096





    Dogs
    All dogs used to hunt deer, moose or black bear must be
    licensed.
    There is no limit on the number of dogs that may
    be licensed and used. Dogs may not run at large in an area
    inhabited by deer, moose, elk, caribou or black bear during
    the closed season.
    Dogs may not be used to hunt elk.
    The use of leashed dogs to track and retrieve wounded big
    game is now permitted during all big game seasons. For more
    information, please call 1-800-387-7011 or 1-800-667-1940.
    You must have an authorization or licence issued from MNRF
    to conduct dog training and field trials on game mammals
    and game birds during the closed season, or an appropriate
    hunting licence during the open season.
    To hunt raccoon at night, you must be accompanied by a dog
    licensed for raccoon hunting and you must have a resident
    or non-resident small game licence. Only one dog licence
    is required while hunting raccoon at night regardless of the
    number of dogs used.

  7. #6
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I think your handling it in a professional manner. It’s for the landowner to handled it whichever way he wants. Good luck
    "When you piss in the wind, you will get your feet wet."
    Deer Hunter

  8. #7
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buckluck_9pt View Post
    wouldn't consider it a no win situation..we know someone is in there other than us and the landowner gave permission to one person being in there..i believe the landowner has every right to know who is on their property at any given time.. i am not going to call him a trespasser or tell him his dogs are running deer as it comes off wrong and i am not going to let ego or attitude ruin a good thing.. this is our first year with permanent stands so he might not have realized we've been in there hunting until he saw the cameras and stands.. now, even though i won't tell him about his dogs running deer, i do know it's against the law and it's a safety issue for me and my boy.. i don't know these dogs and they don't know me. my main safety issue is i don't want to shoot and trail a deer and walk up on these dogs.. i have no idea if they are aggressive or not.. this also isn't an issue of a fun day galloping with their owner and having fun.. i have watched them at least twice chase down deer and tear through the bush in pursuit of them... and i have had them run all around the area while i am in stand and not once, in person or on camera, have i ever seen them with their owner until now... it's against the law to allow your dogs to run loose in any bush land that is occupied with deer... does the landowner know this? probably not.. does the owner of the dog know this? probably not... but we have had exclusive rights to hunt there for 15 years and we told the landowner from day one that we would let him know if anyone else is in there .. there is so much trespassing and poaching now a days that it is vital to keep those lines of communication open with the landowner.. it's their job to decide to handle that, and not us... i am not going to get upset and tell the landowner to say anything.. again, it would be nice if this guy could use another trail further away from our stands and mineral site, but that's up to the landowner on his own to decide if and when and what to say... but we have worked so hard to get and keep a great relationship with the landowner and we don't want it ruined by anyone else either.. i will simply show him the pics of the guy and state this is the guy and his dogs that are in there...
    Now you know what it feels like when you are a land owner and you have a bunch of guys run their licensed,tagged,tracked hounds through your property without permission,chasing deer in the legal deer season.LOL

    We have a bye law up our way for dogs at large which I ignore on a daily basis because I believe as the owner of the land and taxpayer I have earned the privilege to allow my dog free rein,after all who would the complainant be for a dog at large on my own land.Now my dog will not pursue deer for any distance so that is not a problem.

    In relation to your situation as Bushmoose has stated I would tread very lightly,its pretty east to loose permission on land even after 15 years.

  9. #8
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    Now you know what it feels like when you are a land owner and you have a bunch of guys run their licensed,tagged,tracked hounds through your property without permission,chasing deer in the legal deer season.LOL

    We have a bye law up our way for dogs at large which I ignore on a daily basis because I believe as the owner of the land and taxpayer I have earned the privilege to allow my dog free rein,after all who would the complainant be for a dog at large on my own land.Now my dog will not pursue deer for any distance so that is not a problem.

    In relation to your situation as Bushmoose has stated I would tread very lightly,its pretty east to loose permission on land even after 15 years.
    oh i can imagine it would be frustrating to have ANYONE on your property without permission.. we have so many people go through our bushes that it makes me want to get my own property but it wouldn't change anything, you will always have people with entitlement issues feel they have every god given right to do what they want on your property... which is why i get so frustrated.. we have so much respect for our land owner, his property and it makes my blood boil when i think of how many people go through bushes just because they think they can...
    i assure you, i am going to walk very lightly.. i don't think that any amount of time on someone's property acts as a free pass to give land owners a hard time or dictate what they can and can't do or who can and can't be in there.. i hope my post doesn't come off as that, as it isn't i promise you all.
    all i want to do is let the landowner know someone is back there and that is all.. in terms of the dogs, i will let him know as well.. like you say, if it's your property then it's your call ( in terms of letting dogs run free, although there are laws against it).. but in this case, this ISN'T the land owners dogs, which is why i want to bring it up to him.. not going to say " hey, you gotta get a hold of this guy and tell him to stop".. more or less " hey i noticed someone back there , looks like they're cutting wood.. just wanted you to have a heads up they saw my cameras and stands this way if they come to you, you can assure him that we are in there and have full permission.. this is the first time i have seen him but his dogs are in there from time to time so if you know him can you ask if his dogs are aggressive because if i run into them while walking in or out from my stand or following a deer, i want to make sure i can approach them without fear of getting bit".. .that kind of thing...now, like i said earlier, this guy likely doesn't know we are in there and have permission because this is the first year , out of 15 years, that we actually are treating it as a permanent stand area.. what will come of it? no idea.. but we know he's in there and now he knows we are in there.. hopefully, i don't have an on going issue with the dogs.. i won't bring up any legal issue about it unless something happened like i got bit or attacked, which i don't see happening but like i say, i don't know the dogs and they don't know me so i don't know what they would do if we ran into each other.. i hope they would be playful and friendly..

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •