Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody ever shoot a turkey with an open, infected wound?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Anybody ever shoot a turkey with an open, infected wound?

I went out turkey hunting Wednesday morning, and after being patient listening to a tom gobbling for 2 hours, I was rewarded when he gave me a nice clear, close range shot.
    The bird had a 7.25" beard and 0.75" spurs, so likely a 2 year old. He looked a little roughed up - his tail was missing feathers, he seemed a little light, and he had this strange sore at the bottom of his breast. I've seen patches of dry skin there before, but this was an open wound with brown, hard material hanging out.
    I decided to skin the bird and take the breast and legs because I knew that I wouldn't be roasting this bird whole with that nasty wound. I cut away the area around the sore, then decided to examine it more closely. It was pretty deep and there was this disgusting yellow-green-brown material in it. The hole on the exterior of the bird did not represent the extent of the infection. I also noticed a few spots on the breast bone where it was green - like someone took a green marker and dabbed the bone. I decided to cut away additional breast meat in the area of the wound.

My question is, has anyone ever had anything like this happen? Did you eat the meat? Any issues? I really don't want to throw all the meat in the trash. I've already decided I won't be giving any of it to my family, but I am considering cooking it up for myself (well done of course!).

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Any pics ?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Yes, but they are probably not appropriate for posting. Very nasty.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

It will be fine. Wounds happen. Turkeys fight. Cut away the wound and eat away.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I agree with FishHog, trim the wounded area away and cook well, should be ok....

TJ

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Couple of years ago, I got a jake that had his breast feathers almost completely picked off, just some dark feather fuzz. Came in semi strut towards the "breeder hen", he looked good from far but far from looked good. I didn't notice until I walked up to it, meat was fine but I closely checked it.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Get all the puss, gross but we’ll be fine. Stir. Fried yummy.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I would not eat it.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

My cousin shot a smaller Tom a few years back that had a wound on his chest that had puss, it was from fighting we figured. He cut a large section around the wound and ate the bird with no issues
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I"ve seen that on a couple birds now. None of them were mine, but they all got eaten with no issues.

S.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast