Thread: Muskrats

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Muskrats

I am looking for the type of bait you would use to trap muskrats. The cottage next door to mine has a floating dock which the muskrat is making a nest in one of the floats. He is trying to like trap it and relocate it on the lake but is not sure what type of bait to use. So far has used apples and carrots with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Waste of time to relocate, kill it as a nuisance animal.
    Last edited by fishermccann; August 9th, 2018 at 08:10 AM.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Had a guy trap farm ditches few years ago he said best bait was any white root. Potato dig up a wild carrot. He was getting 9 rats per trap. Crazy

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Ok thanks,I will let him know. Thanks js4fn.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Parsnip

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I have found success with simply hand smearing the trap with Vasoline and Pepermint Oil mixed in.
    Take a large Vasoline container, remove the lid and put it in a pot of water on low with the pot lid on.
    Once it melts, take it out and add a bottle of Peppermint Oil... as much as will fit.
    Then mix well and let it cool back to its original state.
    Put this on just about any root you can find or bull rush or even twigs and they will come to investigate.
    And voila...
    ...wet parsnips have a peppermint scent also, that's why this works... and you won't have to go to No-frills anymore to pick parsnips, carrots and potatoes off the discount expired food rack anymore

Sent from my SM-T377W using Tapatalk