Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can You Build Patience?

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

i had kids. once you have kids, the time you actually get away from it all keeps you there until that last second of freedom.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Since the old gang has broken up long ago and I've been deer hunting solo for the last 20 years, my success has always been due to patience and persistence, without a doubt! I've made myself a couple of comfortable stands that that I can literally spend all day in. Good comfortable swivel chair, heater and some reading material. I have no issue with climbing into the stand at 06:30 and climbing out again at dark, though I will say, I've been known to climb out a bit early since I don't want to clean n drag it out in the dark. Getting too old to struggle with that by myself in the dark.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

In my 20"s I had very little patience. Now @ 49 I can sit still for several hours. I have enjoyed some great hunts that were a result of sticking it out and waiting for that moment of truth.

My advise for new hunters is to wait then wait some more. Then wait for that perfect shot.

Rush slowly!!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

When it comes to fishing - have to have a few bags of tricks up the sleeve. If something isn't working then move onto the next. I used to have more patience fishing. Would go all day without a bite and not care. I don't have time for that anymore. Two young kids and a honey do list.

As for hunting, as long as I am comfortable I am good. Cell phone games makes those 8 hour sits much easier though I have to admit.
    Things that fly turn me on

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I think that hunters/anglers should develop a routine very early on when they think about heading out and maximizing their time afield or on the water.
    Think backwards when you develop the routine.

What is it that will cause you to end your allocated time prematurely ? Other than the obvious of filling a tag/catching a limit or enough to eat if that's your intended goal.
    That will be all the variables that you DID not prepare for or could face.

Many previous threads already mentioned the things to consider previous to heading out.

Developing a routine will only assist you with being patient, sometimes patience alludes certain people and it seems to be easier for some.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Patience is a mind set that most of us do not prepare for. We prepare trails and bait sites. We prepare our gear and equipment but very few prepare our minds for a long season in a blind or tree stand.
    Bring things to keep your mind occupied such as reading material and games on your phone.
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Apprentice

User Info Menu

being comfortable and warm are definitely true. Over time I've realized with myself at least that with my most productive locations I have been able to stick it out for quite some time. The anticipation and knowing its a good spot keeps me excited and ready and wanting to remain out there. In order to do that of course is spend some time in the bush on the off season. cameras, walking, looking for sign all these little things will aid in not just a higher probability spot but also one that will keep you excited and keep you antsy and keep you in the bus longer come the season. I myself can be the most patient person ever but also the opposite and how ive trained myself to be better over the years is to really put in my research of the area, and make sure that I'm finding better and smarter overall locations to hunt that I know will keep me excited and patient as the hours go by each hunt.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

When it comes to hunting, I feel the biggest factor to building patience is having previous successes and/or optimism for success. It comes down to motivation. If you're not seeing evidence of your desired game (camera, tracks, visual sighting), it's harder to stay motivated.
    If you're sitting on stand over an upright bear bait barrel that hasn't been touched in 2 weeks it's harder to convince yourself to stay.
    If you haven't seen a deer in 15 hunts, or haven't seen one on trail cam, it's harder to stay motivated to get out there and stay out there.
    As you build experience and become more successful, those successes will build motivation and patience.
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I think of patience as kind of a reserve which gets depleted by certain things. I don't know if you can really build up a bigger reserve of patience, but I bet that people who work with the public or have raised kids probably have more patience than others. If anything, it's like a muscle which needs to be exercised. The more you overcome challenges to your patience, the greater your reserves of patience will be.

I think that adopting a patient attitude can really reduce the speed at which you 'run out of patience'. Getting fulfillment through the activity itself (i.e. being in the woods) rather than only through some event (i.e. shooting a big huge buck) really helps to make it more pleasant and therefore less trying on your patience. Having an attitude and confidence that your goals will be accomplished in the fullness of time also helps. As other people have said, being comfortable also helps.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

When I was younger, much, I would sit till about 11am so about 5 hrs. Dress properly, what kept me there was the thought that if I leave now, the deer will come along 5 minutes later. Then I'd eat lunch and still hunt different parts of the bush. Now much older it is harder to stay anywhere near that long. I like others pick a time and wouldn't leave before that. I take an e reader with me if I get bored, that helps to keep me there longer, but try not to use it as it is a distraction. Dress for comfort and have a good chair to sit in. Fishing just pick a time and fish till that time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast