Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Squirrel Hunting Guides?

  1. #1
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default Squirrel Hunting Guides?

    ADVERTISEMENT
    I would like to try squirrel hunting this fall, but I've never hunted. I have a couple of 22's and registered for the HEC at the end of this month. Is there such a thing as a (squirrel) hunting guide for hire, to show me the ropes?


    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    where are you located, how far are you willing to travel. A few more details would help someone in your area contact you. Get out ( during the season ) and try your luck sneaking through the woods yourself. There have been threads in the small game section posted about squirrel hunting, contribute to them, or start new ones. The more active you are here, the better members can get a read on your personality. it all helps.

  4. #3
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbelly View Post
    where are you located, how far are you willing to travel. A few more details would help someone in your area contact you. Get out ( during the season ) and try your luck sneaking through the woods yourself. There have been threads in the small game section posted about squirrel hunting, contribute to them, or start new ones. The more active you are here, the better members can get a read on your personality. it all helps.
    Thanks for your response. I'm in Oakville and willing to travel as required. I will take your advice, thanks.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

  5. #4
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    im sure if you are able to get permission to hunt a woodlot you wont really need a guide. i learned to stalk and shoot a bow with squirrels in the sugar bush in waterloo. not sure how things are towards the GTA but lots of squirrels in southern ontario. im sure you can find someone on here who would be up for a squirrel hunt without having to pay them to hang out with you.

    Good luck.

  6. #5
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frankee View Post
    I would like to try squirrel hunting this fall, but I've never hunted. I have a couple of 22's and registered for the HEC at the end of this month. Is there such a thing as a (squirrel) hunting guide for hire, to show me the ropes?


    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Hunting squirrels is a great way to start learning how to hunt. In my experience, county or regional forests that allow hunting are a great place to hunt squirrels. I have always hunted the Dufferin county forests, lots of oak trees which means lots of squirrels, and deer. IMO, the best tasting squirrels I ever ate, the meat was very tender. The forests were never busy, and lots of hunting opportunities. You dont really need a guide, just make sure you are proficient with whatever weapon you use and spend some time in the bush.

    "Hold my beer and watch this"

  7. #6
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryklimczuk View Post
    Hunting squirrels is a great way to start learning how to hunt. In my experience, county or regional forests that allow hunting are a great place to hunt squirrels. I have always hunted the Dufferin county forests, lots of oak trees which means lots of squirrels, and deer. IMO, the best tasting squirrels I ever ate, the meat was very tender. The forests were never busy, and lots of hunting opportunities. You dont really need a guide, just make sure you are proficient with whatever weapon you use and spend some time in the bush.

    "Hold my beer and watch this"
    Sounds good, thanks for the tips. I think that's what I'll do.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

  8. #7
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frankee View Post
    Sounds good, thanks for the tips. I think that's what I'll do.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    If you do hunt Dufferin county you need to buy a hunting permit from the town office. Last time I bought one it was really cheap, like $5.00 or something like that.

    "Hold my beer and watch this"

  9. #8
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    No need for a guide. Squirrels are plentiful. Hit the county forests and you will have very little competition. If just starting out a .410 shotgun might prove more effective.
    I 'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

  10. #9
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    No need for a guide. Squirrels are plentiful. Hit the county forests and you will have very little competition. If just starting out a .410 shotgun might prove more effective.
    Good advice there, Myself, I use my scoped BL 22 and subsonic CCI .22 cal. CB Shorts, super accurate [in my gun] and make less noise than my .177 cal. air rifle.

  11. #10
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Squirrels will test you. Great training for deer hunting. You can still hunt them or stalk and shoot just like deer, moose, bear, and elk.
    Sic Gorgia Mus Allos Subjectatos Nunc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •