Thread: Update on the .223 shooting

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Update on the .223 shooting

Just thought I'd share my experience and thank everyone for their input pluse give a shot out to Varmint Al..... (Bi-Fur-Pod-Shooting sticks page)
    I installed an extra leg on my homemade shooting sticks turning my bi-pod into a tripod....
    Kept low to the ground so that my elbows rest on my knees making for a more stable stance. (cross hairs don't move as much)

The stance

The results with factory loads (Win white box-55gr JHP) from 150yds

Hand loads, boy do they ever change impact area. but not much difference in the groupings between bench and sticks.

The sticks with a hinge

Now will just have to practice a little more so it becomes second nature to get into that shooting stance...(place my elbows on my knees) before shooting at that darn coyote.
    Hope this helps others.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

shooting little low and to the left
    It isn,t how you do it,its how you did it

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by COYHUNTER View Post
    shooting little low and to the left
    Yes, but the grouping is good
    Next time out I will adjust accordingly, just happy with the results.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

There are 2 absolute differences in shooting off the bench and off the sticks.

Bench shooting , you are more relaxed, sitting more upright, relaxed hold on the gun , the forearm most likely sitting /being held by sand bags or mechanical shooting rest and little or no pressure on the forearm of the rifle by your left hand, and you are not pulling the gun tightly into the shoulder and breathing not interfering as you are not contorted and breathing more relaxed/controlled.

Shooting off the sticks, your left hand holds the sticks and the forearm of the rifle which puts different pressure on the rifles forearm verses bench shooting, your right hand has a tighter grip on the pistol grip of the gun, it is held tighter into your shoulder and your breathing then is magnified through your whole system and into the firearm as you can see the cross hairs moving more which you admitted.

I do see though that you are not tightly holding the rifle forearm with you left hand , however your sticks are not padded like sand bags or a mechanical rest which also makes a difference.

Someone mentioned using bi pods [Harris ] , again a rifle will shoot differently off of bi pods than a bench, something to keep in mind.

Till you learn by practice to shoot off the sticks more like you do when shooting off the bench, your off the sticks shooting will always show up in larger groups .

Hate to say this Frank , but practice, practice , and practice more then it will all come together.
    Last edited by jaycee; August 4th, 2018 at 12:38 AM.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Love the homemade sticks, something we all need to practice more is shooting off sticks. I always tell our hunters its the best thing they can do for themselves before joining us on a hunt. Now i really should practice what i preach and follow your example Frank.
    Rod Embree
    KMG Hunting Safaris

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I like your homemade sticks, good shooting !

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

When I shoot off my sticks (bipod), my left hand grasps the sticks, to have more stability. Depending on how I am seated, I also use the left hand in a underhand butt stock grip, this way it crosses my left arm on chest when gripping butt stock. Love your pictures and explanations as always. I have learned so much from your posts and really appreciate them.
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Frank

That’s good shooting at 150!

Have you been crimping the loads?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    Frank

That’s good shooting at 150!

Have you been crimping the loads?
    No, not crimping, just basic reloading....