Thread: Traditional archery ?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Traditional archery ?

ADVERTISEMENT
    does anyone still bow hunt using traditional archery equipment ?

would love to get into it, don't know where to start, any tips or advice ?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Artic Blue View Post
    does anyone still bow hunt using traditional archery equipment ?

would love to get into it, don't know where to start, any tips or advice ?
    By traditional,do you mean with a long bow or recurve? If so,then,there's many people that still hunt that way. I have a son that does. He uses a Bear recurve @ 50lbs. that belonged to his Grandpa. There must be an archery shop around your area. A google search should give you the info you need.
    Sometimes,Karma sends an ex back into your life to see if you're still stupid.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

It is amazing how such a simple form of archery can actually be so complicated. Coming from the compound world, it can actually seem a bit overwhelming.

I highly recommend taking 2 hours out of your day to watch "The Push" on YouTube and soak it in. Matt really focuses on the fixed crawl method in the 2nd half. Don't get too hung up on that necessarily. But it's certainly a great method to experiment with.

If you're an average sized fellow, a good start is to pick up a Samick Sage for under $200 at Bass Pro or any local shop you have that sells them. Right around half the draw weight of what you pull with a compound. If you pull 60lbs, get 35lbs max to start. Arrow spine and more importantly 'dynamic spine' is critical. If your arrow is too stiff, it won't paradox around the shelf and will make contact. Too weak, and increased flex will cause poor arrow flight and inconsistent POI. Have your local shop help you with an arrow recipe to get you started.

If you're up for spending a bit more and feel this is something you're going to stick with, an ILF rig is ideal. Thousands of ILF limbs on the market to choose from so you can switch to heavy limbs for hunting when you're ready.

I feel like trad archery is really picking up steam recently. There's a lot of information out there to help with the learning curve.
    Here's a quick video of my bear hunt this spring with a recurve.
    Last edited by LowbanksArcher; August 16th, 2018 at 08:00 AM.
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Member for Life

User Info Menu

When I was 15 or 16 I got a 40lb@28in longbow from a friend, it was at the vary minimum for deer legally. I shot that thing without any sights for hours, day after day, to the point that my finger now has a bend to it from shooting, no release, I did not use an arm guard and did not use a leather tab until much later. Shooting a traditional bow makes you realize quickly and painfully when your form is bad, I took a few layers off my arm when over bending my elbow.

I was at the point that I would hit a pie plate 100 times out of 100 at 15 yards, that was my limit and that is what I was going to hunt at. I took it out into the tree stand, a spot I made up for this bow that I would not be able to see a deer beyond about 12 yards, this way I would not be tempted to take a shot longer than my maximum. I was not very patient on stand at that time and although I had a buck grunting back at me behind me he never did come down the trail and I never did see him. I used that bow on a number of other hunts but things did not pan out, my twitching on stand was partially the problem there but nothing I can do about that now.

I would not take that bow out now, not because I do not think it could kill at close range but because it has been so long since I have shot it for any meaningful amount of time. Traditional and instinctual shooting of a bow is all about practice and at this time I do not have time for a compound let alone a traditional, they are really fun but to be ethical it takes a lot of time.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LowbanksArcher View Post

Here's a quick video of my bear hunt this spring with a recurve.

Nicely done!
    Bring a compass. It's awkward when you have to eat your friends.
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt emus
    Cave ab homine unius libri

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Yes, 35 yrs now... that said, practice practice... and don't overbow.. a 45lb bow with a good heavy arrow will zip through a deer no prob.. know your effective range... I was helping a young lad out shooting this year.. we worked on having him draw slowly like he was actually drawing on an animal..instead of ripping the string back. Best of luck!!

Just starting out

User Info Menu

thanks everyone, much appreciated. Will take all your advice into consideration