Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coyote round.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Coyote round.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Looking to purchase a new coyote rifle any thoughts on the best round for coyotes?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Wenger View Post
    Looking to purchase a new coyote rifle any thoughts on the best round for coyotes?
    Federal Premium .243Win-70gr Nosler Ballistic tip or Hornady .270Win-130grSST in Ruger M77 topped with Nikon ProStaff 4-12X40 BDC. Both are deadly out to 350M.
    Last edited by trimmer21; August 16th, 2018 at 03:50 PM.
    Sometimes,Karma sends an ex back into your life to see if you're still stupid.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Can go with 22-250 if you want a fast round. 223 would be good too. 243 is good if you want to use as a deer round as well.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

How far do you want to shoot.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I use 58gr Hornady VMax, in .243 with excellent results. Down here in farm country, there’s zero chance of a ricochet. There are however, fairly hard on the pelts.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If you are interested in witnessing impact through the scope then the .223 would be biggest I would go. I use a .223 and it seems to work. Shot placement and bullet performance will trump caliber.

Limit your shots to your comfort zone as the gun usually will shoot better than the shooter.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Barnes 55 Grain MPG( Copper jacketed/compressed copper-zinc powder core).

MPG stands for Multi-Purpose Green.
    They are designed to fragment inside the chest and liquefy the heart and lungs.
    Makes one little hole and thats about it in a .223/5.56.
    They can be loaded in any of the .224 Calbre rifles like .222, .223, 22-250.
    Sic Gorgia Mus Allos Subjectatos Nunc.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Any of the following cal.-- .204, .222,.223, .22/250,.243/.244, all excellent calibers, easy to shoot some use a .270 but it gets expensive to shoot , is noisier and more recoil.
    If you plan to skin and sell the hides, a .204 does the least damage, have yet to have one make an exit hole, Myself I also have and used .222 and .243, I reload for all my rifles , you can tune your loads to your rifle, and reloads cost a little less so you can do more shooting.

I have also used a .22 hornet which I would consider the minimum cal.and shooting up to 150-- ?-175 yards.
    I have also shot them with a .22 win mag. rimfire, but the shots were close less than 100 yards.
    Last edited by jaycee; August 16th, 2018 at 06:40 PM.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I would go with either a .223 or 22-250. Both work great on coyotes. Some like the .243 and 270 but in my opinion there over kill on coyotes.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    I would go with either a .223 or 22-250. Both work great on coyotes. Some like the .243 and 270 but in my opinion there over kill on coyotes.
    No doubt they are both very popular and effective on coyotes. I went with the 243 because it offers an option for deer also. That said, some guys want a reason to buy another gun - can’t argue with that either !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast