Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coyote round.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I just picked up a 6.5 Creedmoor but I'm not sure what bullet to load for coyote. Any suggestions? I load 55gr. VMax in 22-250 and 58 gr. 243. No experience with the 6.5.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    I just picked up a 6.5 Creedmoor but I'm not sure what bullet to load for coyote. Any suggestions? I load 55gr. VMax in 22-250 and 58 gr. 243. No experience with the 6.5.
    What is the twist on that? The 6.5x55mm swede has a twist designed for the long 160gr RN bullets and they are not supposed to spin short bullets all that well. Berger has a twist calculator that should help out, but if the creedmoor has a twist designed for 140gr bullets then you should be able to shoot down to the super light varmint bullets easy enough.

Hornady has a Vmax that is 95gr, there is another company that has a 85 or 87gr varmint bullet, I would have to ask though, if you are using a 6.5 creedmoor to get out there and touch them then why not go a bit heavier of a bullet and take advantage of the really aerodynamic profile and reduce your wind drift. 120gr would hit like a hammer and probably do less damage to the pelt using a deer bullet over a Vmax, 3000fps with the 120gr bullets rather than 3200fps with a 95gr, I would think that the Vmax would blow up pretty good at 3200fps but most likely would leave a nasty exit hole still.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

You speak like this a bad thing..lol

120gr would hit like a hammer and probably do less damage to the pelt using a deer bullet over a Vmax, 3000fps with the 120gr bullets rather than 3200fps with a 95gr, I would think that the Vmax would blow up pretty good at 3200fps but most likely would leave a nasty exit hole still

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    What is the twist on that? The 6.5x55mm swede has a twist designed for the long 160gr RN bullets and they are not supposed to spin short bullets all that well. Berger has a twist calculator that should help out, but if the creedmoor has a twist designed for 140gr bullets then you should be able to shoot down to the super light varmint bullets easy enough.

Hornady has a Vmax that is 95gr, there is another company that has a 85 or 87gr varmint bullet, I would have to ask though, if you are using a 6.5 creedmoor to get out there and touch them then why not go a bit heavier of a bullet and take advantage of the really aerodynamic profile and reduce your wind drift. 120gr would hit like a hammer and probably do less damage to the pelt using a deer bullet over a Vmax, 3000fps with the 120gr bullets rather than 3200fps with a 95gr, I would think that the Vmax would blow up pretty good at 3200fps but most likely would leave a nasty exit hole still.
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by line052 View Post
    You speak like this a bad thing..lol

120gr would hit like a hammer and probably do less damage to the pelt using a deer bullet over a Vmax, 3000fps with the 120gr bullets rather than 3200fps with a 95gr, I would think that the Vmax would blow up pretty good at 3200fps but most likely would leave a nasty exit hole still
    If you are trying to use or sell the hide it would be best not to have a massive exit hole from a still moving Vmax.

The idea of the explosive varmint bullets is to expand so fast that they do not exit, when you take a larger caliber moving at a high rate of speed this is almost impossible on a smaller varmint, hence the huge exit hole.

If you are not going to do anything with the hides then a howitzer would be fine but fur management a small hole in and small hole out is a better option.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Most small high velocity calibres do not have an exit hole and if they do you can put your fist through it.
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Apprentice

User Info Menu

25 06 117g sst yours ground hogs deer also anything the better half doesn't know about

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

hahhaha
    Quote Originally Posted by overtheir View Post
    25 06 117g sst yours ground hogs deer also anything the better half doesn't know about
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123