Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coyote round.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Ok, I will be the odd one...I recommend 5.6x50R
    It seems to like 40grain varmageddons...coyotes, not,so much.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have a 222, tack driver, but I was told by a number of coyote hunters that they would recommend a heavier and longer bullet due to the winds you will get in the winter hunting them, not due to lack of killing power. They go for 243 or 6mm rifles, a friend of mine uses a 25-06 but that is a bit much I think.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

270 winchester, if your looking for one rifle to hunt with in Ontario.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I have a 222, tack driver, but I was told by a number of coyote hunters that they would recommend a heavier and longer bullet due to the winds you will get in the winter hunting them, not due to lack of killing power. They go for 243 or 6mm rifles, a friend of mine uses a 25-06 but that is a bit much I think.
    Fact , check it out , A longer heavier bullet will drift in the wind more than a lighter faster one, due to it's longer flight time exposure being slower and the fact it is larger and has more surface area exposed to the wind .

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    Fact , check it out , A longer heavier bullet will drift in the wind more than a lighter faster one, due to it's longer flight time exposure being slower and the fact it is larger and has more surface area exposed to the wind .
    Fact, check it out, a 243 with a 75gr bullet has a muzzle velocity of 3580 wind drift (10MPH) of 7.1in at 300 yards, 222 Rem 50gr is 3345 wind drift (10MPH) of 11.1in at 300 yards, 223 rem 55gr is 3240 wind drift (10MPH) of 10.9in at 300 yards, 22-250 55gr is 3680 wind drift (10MPH) of 9.2in at 300 yards, that lighter bullet is not getting there must faster.

The shape of the bullet has a lot to do with it.

A 243 with an 87gr bullet has a muzzle velocity of 3240 wind drift (10MPH) of 6.5in at 300 yards.

A longer bullet of higher BC helps hold speed and buck the wind as well, the profile is more efficient in both head on and cross wind.

These numbers were gathered from Hornady ammunition and the Hornady calculator based on the Hornady bullet BC numbers.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    I think the 6.5 creedmoor would disagree...it is long and slender and has a high ballistic co-efficient.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I shoot a 223 Tikka(64gr) with a receiver sight and factory iron front sight for hunting in balsam forests. I have shot a 257 Roberts (100gr) with 2x-7x for many years. Just started hunting with a 6.5 Creedmoor (120gr) this past winter. All have been successful.
    Last edited by shieldwalker12; August 19th, 2018 at 08:29 PM.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Swiss K31 shooting milsurp GP11 FMJ in 7.5X55. Ribcage/lung broadside shots only. Shooting from door of my house to baited cage at exactly 215yds. Two little holes with zero pelt damage. 308 in FMJ does a nice job as well.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I use a 25-06 with Federal 85 grain ballistic tips, great long range set up but 22-250 is probably the best all round varmint cartridge.....IMO
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I only use .223 and reload specific for Coyote. That being said, 50-55gr VMax (Honaday) is what I would use. The 243 is a great all around starter gun for Deer/Coyote and will give you best bang for the multi purpose role.

When considering a rifle always consider the cost of ammo. I see many high powered and large caliber guns for sale all the time..many buy a 300 or 338...but when it starts costing you $2-3 dollars a shot..it adds up. If you reload, you can get some great deals on these guns and cut the cost of shooting. Even the resurgence of the 6.5mm creedmore has a high cost of ammo.

I tend to stick to common caliber rifles, as the ammo is cheaper, more bullet weight selection (different game) and lastly cost to feed it (although not much of an issue for me)
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast