Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Letter to MNR, Be part of the solution

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Open Letter to MNR, Be part of the solution

Hi everybody,
    On behalf of the hunters in my group and hopefully many others
    I post a letter I sent to MNR that contains among other things many grievances we all have regarding moose tag allocations, calf season, tag automatic transfer and others. You will find it attached to this post.
    Anyway, I would like to know your opinions, and if you have more info, or suggestions bring them up in your comments. If you agree with at least some of the things in the letter please forward it to your friends, post it on Facebook etc. I would appreciate if you take the time to read it and hopefully endorse it.
    Help to make an impact in voicing our disappointment in the way MNR conducts business and offer solutions to issues we have. There are very few active forums and I think we need to make our voices heard.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Your intentions are great but I am afraid a letter so long will not get read. All that the government will hear is bla, bla, bla.... No-one likes being told what they are doing is wrong especially government workers.... so my best guess is they will skim through it and toss it.
    Last edited by fratri; August 17th, 2018 at 05:48 PM.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You make some very good points. Most were echoed by my input during the public consultation period a couple years ago when they started the moose management program.
    We all have heard horror stories of unregulated native or metis harvest. The COs are not even allowed to question a metis or native hunter about moose harvested. Until such time as those harvest numbers are known, meaningful overall harvest quotas will not occur.
    We hunt in the NW. Tag allocations have continued to spiral downward. However, like you, we see more moose than ever before.
    The adult tag application and draw is nothing more than a money grab. We should not be forced to buy a moose licence just to enter the draw, but I’m sure we can all agree on that point.
    I would hope that you addressed your letter directly to the new Minister. We can only hope that positive change will occur with the change in Government. Maybe now they will do proper moose number surveys rather than just guessing !
    Kudos to you for taking the time to construct your letter.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    Your intentions are great but I am afraid a letter so long will not get read. All that the government will hear is bla, bla, bla.... No-one likes being told what they are doing is wrong especially government workers.... so my best guess is they will skim through it and toss it.
    MNR will obviously do nothing about the letter (maybe just not give me a tag in the draw like EVER). The point of the letter is to gather hunter and public support and then things might happen. You're not the only one that sais the letter is long. I'm the first one to admit it, however without data, researched arguments by previous studies and suggested solutions to these issues, this will be just another complaint that will be swallowed in the bureaucratic BS they give us. The point I want to make is let's try this approach and hope that there is still a little democracy left in the system and what we say matters.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

If the MNR knew WTF they were doing Ontario would be the land of milk and honey. If they were so concerned about caribou then WTF happened over the last year at Michopicoten Island. There was enough seed stock there for relocation every year to prefered areas within the MNR caribou identified areas. They played their fiddles and let the herd collapse because spineless inability to make any decisions. So they watched 700 endangered valuable animals just get decimated.
    And they call this management?

For them to come to their senses we would need them to have senses. Brain dead!

The only way is to dissolve the entire dept and start over.
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I read the letter and i am very impressed.
    While there are stronger and weaker points in it ,the effort and the good intention is admirable.
    This sis what we would need -and a lot of it.
    Public input,and pressure on Government to listen.

Then maybe someone would listen.
    That would be a good start so actually one day someone would actually DO something.

OFAH as a strong Lobbying entity tries to achieve some of the goals in the letter,with limited success.

My hope is with the new Government ,the new MNRF and perhaps a new approach.
    However i do not put my hopes high.

Hunters are not a major factor in elections,and we have hard time positively influencing public opinion.
    Politicians rely on public opinion.........

We would really need someone in the right place with a lot of smarts and big "balls"to turn this around.
    Would that benefit all stake holders?(public=more wildlife-natives=more wildlife-hunters=more wildlife-MNRF more wildlife=more hunters/more income/more jobs)i am 100% sure.
    Yet ,will it happen-likely and sadly......not.
    Last edited by gbk; August 18th, 2018 at 06:59 AM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Great letter. Go moose hunting buy bear and wolf tags and use them. Do whatever you can to help out. Or go hunt deer.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Well written and some very strong points, I agree the MNR has to rethink how they allocate tags and manage the moose population. I have written to them in the past and never received a response. If you do get something back, please post for all to read.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I believe our new minister in charge of the mnrf Jeff Yurek will do his best send him some facts short and pertinent. He can't do worse.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lazyman View Post
    I believe our new minister in charge of the mnrf Jeff Yurek will do his best send him some facts short and pertinent. He can't do worse.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and don't forget to cover copy your local MPP,especially,if they're Liberal or NDP. It's always good to show them why they got their arses kicked.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast