Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Emily Creek/Lake

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Hunting Emily Creek/Lake

Does anyone know if the "Emily Creek Duck Hunt Club" is still up and running? I was looking to see if its possible to hunt the creek and all I found was that a section of land was donated to the land trust organization. Just looking to know if its fair game to hunt or if its all private locked up land. Thank you

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If no hunting is allowed, there is often a sign stating this. We have a conservancy agreement for our property and the sign states that no hunting is allowed. However, I can hunt our property and give others permission to hunt. No knowledge of that particular property.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

The Emily Creek Club is alive and well - they may have sold their property but they maintained the exclusive hunting rights in the agreement

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JMatthews View Post
    If no hunting is allowed, there is often a sign stating this. We have a conservancy agreement for our property and the sign states that no hunting is allowed. However, I can hunt our property and give others permission to hunt. No knowledge of that particular property.
    You cannot assume though that you can go and hunt property that does not have a "no hunting" or "no trespassing" sign, if you have not gained permission it has to be assumed that you cannot hunt there.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    You cannot assume though that you can go and hunt property that does not have a "no hunting" or "no trespassing" sign, if you have not gained permission it has to be assumed that you cannot hunt there.
    I agree, just pointing out that in some cases (most) they have the property posted. Always require permission to hunt.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JMatthews View Post
    I agree, just pointing out that in some cases (most) they have the property posted. Always require permission to hunt.
    I just know too many people who would just go on and hunt saying that if they did not want people on their property they would post it, not right.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Sometime late in the 1980's Wildfowl magazine had a terrific right up on Emily creek. The story of the waterfowl camp stems back in the turn of the 19th century. Years ago I did a canoe trip through there and it was exactly how they described it...The area was known for majestic Black ducks...But it is a private area. The club began around the same time as the Markham duck camp..
    To hunt & to fish = enjoying life; I live for the outdoors.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Where is the Markham duck camp? There are quite a few duck clubs within 1/2 hour of Lindsay - I can think of at least 1/2 dozen that are still going today.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Located north west of Emily Creek...I believe they are going on 4rth generation of club members..
    To hunt & to fish = enjoying life; I live for the outdoors.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    At the risk of starting an argument you are incorrect in that assumption.
    Unfortunately the Ontario Trespass to Property Act says differently.

Notwithstanding a number of exemptions (properties under agriculture , properties that contain buildings and/or residences, properties that are fenced in or designed to keep people and/or activities out and a few others) all other properties require adequate posting indicating what is allowed and what isn't.
    The only recourse , if it wasn't signed, is the property owner or agent of the owner advising people to depart immediately.

I personally wouldn"t enter on anyone's property without permission unless I was certain it was Crown land however as unfortunate as it may seem that is the law in Ontario in regards to property.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast