Thread: Coyotes and Lyme disease

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Coyotes and Lyme disease

Had the dog into the vet for annual checkup. There was a gentleman in there and he was carrying a German short hair pointer out to his car. I commented to the vet about this. She said its sad the dog is 100% crippled from Lyme disease and probably will die soon, that is why my dog is vaccinated.
    Now I have noticed a decrease in Coyote numbers around here chalked it up to mange but after talking to our Vet about Lyme disease infecting dogs would it not seem reasonable that wild canines could contract it.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

The vaccination does not guarantee your dog will not get Lyme. They are still working on an effective vaccine. This directly from a vet.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cayuga Kid View Post
    Had the dog into the vet for annual checkup. There was a gentleman in there and he was carrying a German short hair pointer out to his car. I commented to the vet about this. She said its sad the dog is 100% crippled from Lyme disease and probably will die soon, that is why my dog is vaccinated.
    Now I have noticed a decrease in Coyote numbers around here chalked it up to mange but after talking to our Vet about Lyme disease infecting dogs would it not seem reasonable that wild canines could contract it.
    Since about the middle to the end of February,coyotes where I hunt (Peterborough and northern Northumberland Counties) have all but disappeared like something hit an "off" switch. Our area is fairly heavily hunted,but,success rates are very low this year,which is very surprising given excellent success rates in previous years. I get that populations tend to fluctuate over time,but,when suddenly there's not even a track makes me wonder.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

what is best prevent med for tics ? been using revolution

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by warningshot View Post
    For many years I used products with Permethrin as the active ingredient...(Advantix, Liberty 50 etc).. Never had a problems with fleas or tics.

Two 2 yrs back, the vet we use recommend Bravecto, so we switched, far more convenient than a topical and seems to work fine.

Here's a chart showing the comparisons to some of the products available.

https://www.1800petmeds.com/Bravecto...re8230008.html

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by warningshot View Post
    No don't be using that. It does not kill the deer tick which is the one that can give your dog lyme disease.

Have a read here:

https://www.oodmag.com/community/sho...-W-Ont-already

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I could imagine quite a few coyotes die each year.

remy

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Just some added info for this thread. I had our lab back to the vet for a bad gash on his foot. I asked her about coyotes and lyme disease, she said it is probably another factor in pathogens that they can get. She said there is a vet at the university of Guelph who has been doing autopsies on road killed coyotes and her findings showed that 80% of the coyotes had heartworm disease in various degrees of severeness from mild to very severe. How this impacts them in their day to day living wasn't made clear, but 80% is a high number and we all know it it can be debilitating in dogs left untreated.
    Never thought of heartworm in wild canine populations but makes sense.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I am ok with anything slowing down coyote population growth.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

me too dyth. bring back our rabbits and small game!