Thread: sighting in a rifle

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default sighting in a rifle

ADVERTISEMENT
    Moved just outside of Shelburne. Looking for a range to sight in a 30-06. Any help would be appreciated.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

There is a range in Orangeville ;Dufferin Northern Peel Anglers' & Hunters' Association

Box 62

Orangeville, Ontario

L9W 2Z5;; location is on side road 16 and Blind Line
    Last edited by jaycee; August 24th, 2018 at 10:45 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zoli 16ga. View Post
    Moved just outside of Shelburne. Looking for a range to sight in a 30-06. Any help would be appreciated.
    You could save yourself a lot of hassle by investing a small amount of money into a laser bore sighter system. I have used one for a couple of years and they're extremely accurate.
    Sometimes,Karma sends an ex back into your life to see if you're still stupid.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    You could save yourself a lot of hassle by investing a small amount of money into a laser bore sighter system. I have used one for a couple of years and they're extremely accurate.
    A gunny sighted an ml he built for me with one of those. It was good.... enough for getting on paper at 100 but I wouldn’t rely on that to say it’s good to go for the hunt.

Zoli - I think Jaycee gave you the good answer on this.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    A gunny sighted an ml he built for me with one of those. It was good.... enough for getting on paper at 100 but I wouldn’t rely on that to say it’s good to go for the hunt.

Zoli - I think Jaycee gave you the good answer on this.
    Yep,I should have mentioned that. A laser bore sighter (I use Bushnell system) will get you close enough to zero on a target,but,will still need to be "fine tuned" to get dead on the bull. The difference,though,is it will cost maybe three or four shots as opposed to 2 boxes of shells sighting in the conventional way at an open range. My rifles are sighted that when Bullwinkle emerges between two Balsams at 150M and I need to put one between the third and fourth rib,that's exactly where it's going. We may have only one shot to fill a tag. It has to count.
    Sometimes,Karma sends an ex back into your life to see if you're still stupid.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

If you are around on the Sunday or Monday of labour day long weekend shot me a pm and you can come up to my camp about 40 or 45 minutes north of there and we can get it done.
    Bring a compass. It's awkward when you have to eat your friends.
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt emus
    Cave ab homine unius libri

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    As opposed to 2 boxes of shells sighting in the conventional way at an open range.
    2 boxes to sight in a rifle?

Put the rifle in a vice. Pull the bolt out, look through the barrel and centre the target at 25-50 yards. Fire a round. Use turrets to put cross hairs on the bullet hole in the paper. Move to 100 yards, and fine tune. 3 or 4 shots max.

-Nick
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies and info!

greatly appreciated.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.