Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: sighting in a rifle

  1. #1
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default sighting in a rifle

    ADVERTISEMENT
    Moved just outside of Shelburne. Looking for a range to sight in a 30-06. Any help would be appreciated.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    There is a range in Orangeville ;Dufferin Northern Peel Anglers' & Hunters' Association

    Box 62

    Orangeville, Ontario

    L9W 2Z5;; location is on side road 16 and Blind Line
    Last edited by jaycee; August 24th, 2018 at 10:45 AM.

  4. #3
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoli 16ga. View Post
    Moved just outside of Shelburne. Looking for a range to sight in a 30-06. Any help would be appreciated.
    You could save yourself a lot of hassle by investing a small amount of money into a laser bore sighter system. I have used one for a couple of years and they're extremely accurate.
    Sometimes,Karma sends an ex back into your life to see if you're still stupid.

  5. #4
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    You could save yourself a lot of hassle by investing a small amount of money into a laser bore sighter system. I have used one for a couple of years and they're extremely accurate.
    A gunny sighted an ml he built for me with one of those. It was good.... enough for getting on paper at 100 but I wouldn’t rely on that to say it’s good to go for the hunt.

    Zoli - I think Jaycee gave you the good answer on this.

  6. #5
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    A gunny sighted an ml he built for me with one of those. It was good.... enough for getting on paper at 100 but I wouldn’t rely on that to say it’s good to go for the hunt.

    Zoli - I think Jaycee gave you the good answer on this.
    Yep,I should have mentioned that. A laser bore sighter (I use Bushnell system) will get you close enough to zero on a target,but,will still need to be "fine tuned" to get dead on the bull. The difference,though,is it will cost maybe three or four shots as opposed to 2 boxes of shells sighting in the conventional way at an open range. My rifles are sighted that when Bullwinkle emerges between two Balsams at 150M and I need to put one between the third and fourth rib,that's exactly where it's going. We may have only one shot to fill a tag. It has to count.
    Sometimes,Karma sends an ex back into your life to see if you're still stupid.

  7. #6
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu


  8. #7
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    If you are around on the Sunday or Monday of labour day long weekend shot me a pm and you can come up to my camp about 40 or 45 minutes north of there and we can get it done.
    Bring a compass. It's awkward when you have to eat your friends.
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt emus
    Cave ab homine unius libri

  9. #8
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    As opposed to 2 boxes of shells sighting in the conventional way at an open range.
    2 boxes to sight in a rifle?

    Put the rifle in a vice. Pull the bolt out, look through the barrel and centre the target at 25-50 yards. Fire a round. Use turrets to put cross hairs on the bullet hole in the paper. Move to 100 yards, and fine tune. 3 or 4 shots max.

    -Nick
    Krete

    Bills n' Thrills.

  10. #9
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Thanks for all the replies and info!

    greatly appreciated.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •