Thread: Hunting Thunder Bay, On area

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Hunting Thunder Bay, On area

ADVERTISEMENT
    Looking for any experience or knowledge anyone wants to share. I moved up to Thunder Bay this summer, from the Hamilton area, and am not entirely sure what to expect as far as Waterfowl goes up here.

From talking to a couple locals, Geese seem to be here but haven't heard much about ducks at all. There is a mass amount of Public land here, but it is heavily wooded.

Would love to heard from anyone that has any experience on a hunt here or any suggestions even for areas to look at?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Find out which water bodies have wild rice.
    Rice is the key to early season mallards, woodies, teals and ringnecks around here.

Late season mid October to mid November migrators like buffle heads, hooded mergs, goldeyes, bluebills pass through largish water bodies with lots of 5-20 foot deep bays,
    I'm guessing Lac de Milles Lac, Dog and Shedandowan would be good.
    But if you're up for a long drive, Lake of the Woods and Rainy Lake always produce.

Lots of geese around the city but you need permission from farmers to field hunt.
    Last edited by johny; August 28th, 2018 at 09:19 AM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

You'll want to head over to Whitefish Lake. From the public launch head south across the lake to the rice patties. You'll find blinds already set up that the local duck hunters make. Be prepared to evacuate the blind if one of them shows up but it will give you an opportunity to meet a like minded individual. There are some good spots near Pass Lake and Nipigon as well, but you'll need to team up with some locals to find them.
    Vegetarian (vej'eter'ean) n: Old indian word for BAD HUNTER.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gmartino100 View Post
    . You'll find blinds already set up that the local duck hunters make. Be prepared to evacuate the blind if one of them shows up but it will give you an opportunity to meet a like minded individual. .
    Interesting as for me its customary to observe areas on public water after opening day blinds become first come first serve.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I agree, just because you build it , on public land no less, does not make it yours in perpetuity.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot for the responses. I plan on doing some more scouting this weekend, and will head out to Whitefish to have a look.
    Anyone had much success yet on Geese and Ducks (today is official opening day)?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Hey, I'm also from Hamilton and now live in Thunder Bay. There are lots of geese, but it can be tough to get permission. It took me a while, and living in the valley helps. There are some great duck spots but they leave early with the first freeze. Nice variety of birds around. Feel free to pm me, I'm not on here much these days but I'll get the email.

PBG

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Hey, I'm also from Hamilton and now live in Thunder Bay. There are lots of geese, but it can be tough to get permission. It took me a while, and living in the valley helps. There are some great duck spots but they leave early with the first freeze. Nice variety of birds around. Feel free to pm me, I'm not on here much these days but I'll get the email.

PBG