Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Hunting near Kawagama Lake/Dorset

  1. #1
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default Hunting near Kawagama Lake/Dorset

    ADVERTISEMENT
    I have a cottage rented on the east end of Kawagama the end of September and am thinking of bringing the pup and doing a little bird hunting.
    I understand that there is a lot of crown land in this area but I canít find much info about access points.
    Is there anyone familiar with the area that would be willing to give me an idea of a place to start?
    Also, how is the bear population in the area? Would it be worth bringing the rifle and driving a couple logging roads? I know itís a long shot but might be a nice way to spend an evening.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will squander all his earnings, relationships and free time.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    The land use atlas will be absolutely necessary to study carefully in that area. There's crown land,but,a lot of it is landlocked by private property. You need to be sure. Obtaining permission is not an easy task in that neck of the woods. According to the The Hunting Annual,Bear populations are quite high. Good luck.
    Sometimes,Karma sends an ex back into your life to see if you're still stupid.

  4. #3
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    old logging roads have trenches dug at their entrances. you won't get a regular vehicle down them. Take an ATV or side by side. Take a GPS, you can walk for hours. some access points can be seen on google earth.
    Last edited by thunderbelly; August 26th, 2018 at 05:23 PM.

  5. #4
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Study the land use atlas.

    I dont think Id bother with a rifle. Carry some slugs with your shotgun when youre bird hunting, just in case you come across one.

    Dorset isnt Northern ON, its not like the real north where the logging roads go on for hundreds of miles with huge clear cuts to look over. Its dense brush and you'll be lucky to come across a bear unless its standing literally in the middle of the road. I think you'll find that the area is better served walking then driving, and you will encounter other people, probably ATVing on them.

  6. #5
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Thanks for the pointers guys. I’ll dig a little harder into the atlas and see where it leads me.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will squander all his earnings, relationships and free time.

  7. #6
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    Study the land use atlas.

    I dont think Id bother with a rifle. Carry some slugs with your shotgun when youre bird hunting, just in case you come across one.

    Dorset isnt Northern ON, its not like the real north where the logging roads go on for hundreds of miles with huge clear cuts to look over. Its dense brush and you'll be lucky to come across a bear unless its standing literally in the middle of the road. I think you'll find that the area is better served walking then driving, and you will encounter other people, probably ATVing on them.
    You are right on with that statement, that's where we are , N.E. of Dorset, and the area is just as you describe.

  8. #7
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    What is the best way to hunt an area like that.... One with little/no clearings and such dense bush? Specifically moose, but deer and bear as well.

    Would you recommend running the roads, sitting, pushing etc.?

  9. #8
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ph13 View Post
    What is the best way to hunt an area like that.... One with little/no clearings and such dense bush? Specifically moose, but deer and bear as well.

    Would you recommend running the roads, sitting, pushing etc.?
    Road Hunters ! ugh,

  10. #9
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    Road Hunters ! ugh,
    Tsk,tsk......each to their own. What works for one may not for another. Driving/walking roads/trails until you cut tracks is a time-honored tactic that sometimes is quite successful,especially,for Moose and Black Bear.
    Caveat: On unmaintained Crown land access roads/trails,only.
    Last edited by trimmer21; August 30th, 2018 at 06:17 PM.
    Sometimes,Karma sends an ex back into your life to see if you're still stupid.

  11. #10
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Tsk,tsk......each to their own. What works for one may not for another. Driving/walking roads/trails until you cut tracks is a time-honored tactic that sometimes is quite successful,especially,for Moose and Black Bear.
    Caveat: On unmaintained Crown land access roads/trails,only.
    Obviously not condoning illegal or unethical techniques.... Just generally interested/curious on how...

    Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •