Thread: Geese over water tips?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Geese over water tips?

Hey, I'm going to try my hand at some early September geese. I don't have a field to hunt, but I've had some on the lake over the summer.

I am looking for suggestions on what may help.

I have read avoid shorelines with tight tree cover and I read one article that said only put out a small spread.

What do you guys/gals think?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

1)Learn the range and pattern of your shotgun and choke.

2)Measure off 20, 30, and 40 yards. Place a goose decoy at each and look at them. Memory how small they look at each distance.

3) When you put out your decoys, try to place a couple decoys at a marked distance( 20 yards for example). Remember how big or small the 30 and 40 yard decoys were. Try to keep shors at birds at no more then the 30 yard range.

4) geese will NOT fly over other birds( the decoys are birds to them), leave open water for them to fly over and land as close as possible to you.

5) Go with someone that has been before, watch what they do. Does not matter if what they do is right or wrong. You will learn.

6)Cover or paint your face. UV makes it glow.

7)Don't get hung up on camo. A shapeless camo poncho and a face paint works wonders.

8) It's call hunting not harvesting for a reason.
    Sic Gorgia Mus Allos Subjectatos Nunc.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Great Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    1)Learn the range and pattern of your shotgun and choke.

2)Measure off 20, 30, and 40 yards. Place a goose decoy at each and look at them. Memory how small they look at each distance.

3) When you put out your decoys, try to place a couple decoys at a marked distance( 20 yards for example). Remember how big or small the 30 and 40 yard decoys were. Try to keep shors at birds at no more then the 30 yard range.

4) geese will NOT fly over other birds( the decoys are birds to them), leave open water for them to fly over and land as close as possible to you.

5) Go with someone that has been before, watch what they do. Does not matter if what they do is right or wrong. You will learn.

6)Cover or paint your face. UV makes it glow.

7)Don't get hung up on camo. A shapeless camo poncho and a face paint works wonders.

8) It's call hunting not harvesting for a reason.
    Mark Snow, Libertarian Nepean, for 2019, Chairman - Ontario Libertarian Party

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Probably obvious and need not be mentioned but careful consideration to retrieval of downed birds needs to be given. Just because you can drop decoys 10 yards off shore can you get to birds that may drop further or just winged. Places like Holland marsh although can shoot from the dyke retrieval without a dog or boat is near impossible. Yet people still do it to the point CO's make regular trips there.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Probably obvious and need not be mentioned but careful consideration to retrieval of downed birds needs to be given. Just because you can drop decoys 10 yards off shore can you get to birds that may drop further or just winged. Places like Holland marsh although can shoot from the dyke retrieval without a dog or boat is near impossible. Yet people still do it to the point CO's make regular trips there.
    For sure. I have a good dog and boat, so it will not be an issue.