Thread: New engine choice

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default New engine choice

ADVERTISEMENT
    I need a new motor for my 12 foot tinnie. On the Mercury website, the 8HP and the 9.9 have identical specs except for the horse power. I was thinking of an eight to save on weight but the two engines weigh the same. It's only $200 more for the 9.9.
    Any comments on which engine I should choose?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I bet the only difference between the two are the carb needles.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I would take the extra horsepower every time, with a loaded boat it could be the difference between getting on plane and not.

Cheers
    Smitty

Straight shooter

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I would go with whatever your boat is rated for.
    "When you piss in the wind, you will get your feet wet."
    Deer Hunter

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

The extra HP wins every time. I'd go with the 9.9. In the long run it'd be easier on gas and you'd not be pushing it to keep the same speed.
    Now, this has to be said! Since you haven't yet bought a motor you should take a minute and look at Yamaha. I've always been a diehard OMC fan but my new Yamaha 9.9 2-stroke beats my old Evinrude and Johnson hands down.
    Last edited by sawbill; September 17th, 2018 at 10:47 PM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Also if your looking at mercury.. take a look at Tohatsu
    Mercury, evinrude and Tohatsu are all the same motor in regards to small motors. ( they outsource to tohatsu )

Suzuki engines are good too, and they offer an efi version.. 1 or 2 pull starts.. every time.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Mercury should be ashamed of the crap they're putting out today. Make sure you closely look at their shallow water drive function on their small motors. I have a 25 and the f%%%$^%$ing POS has to be in forward gear before you can put the motor on tilt/shallow water drive position. It has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Buy a Yammy instead, even if you pay more.