Thread: Marine Varnish/Coating

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Marine Varnish/Coating

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi guys, looking for some advice on a wood coating/preservative. I have an older Crestliner Fish Hawk. Most of the wood had been replaced prior to me buying it. It is a side console and the left side piece and foot-well piece of the console need replacing. They are currently covered in vinyl but I'm looking at replacing the wood and applying a varnish coating. Looking at the big box stores around me I have found Minwax Helmsman, Armor Coat Spar Varnish and Duralux Marine Spar Varnish. Any and all suggestions are welcomed...

Thanks a bunch!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

The two products I use are Linseed oil for a quick cheap fix or West Products two part epoxy for a more durable finish. I have never used the Spar coatings but it seems they are a offer a middle ground between Linseed oil and epoxy.
    " Grant Mountain Bloodhounds Clementine Burgermeister TD, MiSAR"

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

The spar varnish products you mention above are a less expensive synthetic varnish. You could expect a year or two of wood protection before it all flakes off. For a boat you should use a proper marine spar varnish such as made by Ephanes. It is a product that you thin for the first couple coats, then use full strength. It is available from quality marines stores or from a boat building supply stores like Noah's. It is more expensive but it will last many years on your boat.
    Rick in Muskoka