Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KFC Squirrel

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default KFC Squirrel

I'm not trying to highjack the squirrel recipe thread but I gotta say this about squirrel.

Hunted my whole life, 40 plus years. I eat everything I shoot, like most hunters. Venison, moose, waterfowl, upland, etc.
    I had never tried squirrel but my son, a new hunter shot half a dozen late this past season which he insisted he would eat. Stored them away vacuum packed in the freezer.

They came out yesterday and I used the chicken fried recipe and coated them in a prepared KFC coating someone here provided.
    I brought them to a potluck.
    As usual mostly non hunters there were squeamish, but those that did try it commented on the amazing flavour and texture.
    Needless to say it was all gone quickly.

Can't believe I waited so long despite many others saying how tasty it is.
    Last edited by smokin'stoegie; August 31st, 2018 at 07:11 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Yup..been eating since I was a kid.
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I once drove 30min each way, to spend 10 min hunting a squirrel for lunch that day. I still made it to work on time after grilling it over charcoal back home. I can't wait for squirrel season again.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Squirrel is Ontario's most under hunted game animal and I have no idea why. Abundant, fun to hunt and tasty.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Sounds tasty.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

sounds great, care to share the recipe, and cooking technique. I have some in the freezer to eat up before the season starts.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Yes they are amazing, bit hard to skin. Been hunting them for 40 years off and on. Land owner where I hunt deer wants them all gone, but don't like hunting squirrel in the same bush as deer. Now with the extended seasons, squirrel could be back on the menu, if deer is taken early enough. My oldest boy always looks forward to it. Also the landowner takes the tails as someone he knows uses them for paint brushes.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sabmgb View Post
    bit hard to skin. .
    learn the cut the base of the tail, stand on it and pull the legs and they really aren't. Youtube has good explanations. I can have the skinned gutted and quartered in about 2 min now.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

The tails come in handy if you know anyone who ties their own flies, for fly fishing too.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Tastes like stringy chicken. Didnt get any last year but will go after them this yeae.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast