Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Open Letter to Canadian Tire

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    There are some CT employees who actually know the law in relation to ammunition and components. I was picking up some Pyrodex one day. I said to the guy, “I suppose you’ll want to see my PAL.” He replied, “ it isn’t necessary Pyrodex is not ammunition.” By contrast I’ve gone into a sport shops to buy smokeless powder and they’ve asked for my name and address. Again if you are buying ammunition they have every right to ask to see your PAL, it the law. To my knowledge, as yet, there is no law requiring them to take down your name and address. So I have a feeling it’s probably an ‘anus protectus’ policy instituted by the franchise owner of the individual store. So, it may be pointless to raise the issue with the corporation itself, and if you do, be sure to mention the location of the individual store, so they can point out to the franchise owner that his policy is really unnecessary and it maybe costing him business.

You don’t stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut
    You do not need a PAL to purchase smokeless powder of any kind in Canada, yes, Pyrodex is considered smokeless powder, anything other than real black powder is considered smokeless powder when viewed by Natural Resources Canada and the storage laws are considered as such.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    You do not need a PAL to purchase smokeless powder of any kind in Canada, yes, Pyrodex is considered smokeless powder, anything other than real black powder is considered smokeless powder when viewed by Natural Resources Canada and the storage laws are considered as such.

It maybe the case that NRC views Pyrodex as a type of smokeless powder, but for the most part it is viewed as a black powder substitute safe for use in black powder firearms. It definitely generate smoke when fired and accumulations of filth in the bore and share more elements with black powder than smokeless, which has a composite nitro base, and generates considerably higher chamber pressures. Just a bit of clarification for those who might be thinking of taking up black powder shooting, and who have been told not to use smokeless powder in a black powder gun.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    It maybe the case that NRC views Pyrodex as a type of smokeless powder, but for the most part it is viewed as a black powder substitute safe for use in black powder firearms. It definitely generate smoke when fired and accumulations of filth in the bore and share more elements with black powder than smokeless, which has a composite nitro base, and generates considerably higher chamber pressures. Just a bit of clarification for those who might be thinking of taking up black powder shooting, and who have been told not to use smokeless powder in a black powder gun.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut
    Yes, smokeless for the purpose of transportation and storage, it is not nearly as volatile as black powder, you can ship pyrodex a lot easier than black powder.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123