Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why I hate Pike

Just starting out

User Info Menu

ADVERTISEMENT
    Ok this really hits home with me so I have to put my 2 cents in and hopefully it helps someone.......... The funny thing is it was actually the age of the angler that alowwed the incedent to happen ,Please let me explain. When pike feed on there siblings they need to swallw there food head first so the Pike through short fast releases and rebites Moves the prey till it is facing head first. when the pike sees its chance between these very short chomps it tries to wiggle free . and a fair # of time they manage to break free of the jaws . So when you are Younger your hands are stonger holding the pike firm enough that it does not struggle . But as we age we do not have the strength in our grip like we used to so this happens Quite often and some times the hooks ends up in the wrong place.......If you choose to hold the pike while extracting any Hooks be sure it is a death grip because the Pike is waiting for that tiny window of opertunity to fli free , But he wont even try while you are squezzing 20150612_163641.jpg

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Ouch - just looking at that picture gives me the willies - that looks like a trip to the doctor for sure -

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePa View Post
    Ouch - just looking at that picture gives me the willies - that looks like a trip to the doctor for sure -
    No we Canadians don't need that, we're tough..cut off the barbed end and pull it out. Why do you think Canadian beer is so much stronger then that yellow tube water you serve?
    Sic Gorgia Mus Allos Subjectatos Nunc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    No we Canadians don't need that, we're tough..cut off the barbed end and pull it out. Why do you think Canadian beer is so much stronger then that yellow tube water you serve?
    Looking at that picture, I'd need a few good shots of whiskey, not beer?
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    Looking at that picture, I'd need a few good shots of whiskey, not beer?
    Tighten a string or band around the finger and wait for it to go numb. Cut the ends off with heavy side cutters and remove the hooks. No wiskey needed. Remove string/band and allow wound to bleed and flush. Clean wound and apply sterile dressing, repeat often. Carefully watch for infection, seek medical attention at signs of problem. Have a couple beer, laugh, complain, and use finger as excuse to not have to do anything around camp.
    Did I miss anything?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Tighten a string or band around the finger and wait for it to go numb. Cut the ends off with heavy side cutters and remove the hooks. No wiskey needed. Remove string/band and allow wound to bleed and flush. Clean wound and apply sterile dressing, repeat often. Carefully watch for infection, seek medical attention at signs of problem. Have a couple beer, laugh, complain, and use finger as excuse to not have to do anything around camp.
    Did I miss anything?
    Ya, the part about the beer? It would give me the excuse I need to have whiskey?
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    Ya, the part about the beer? It would give me the excuse I need to have whiskey?
    But the beer helps the body flush out the bad stuff so you, need to drink beer...

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

What we did with the barb buried: snipped the exposed portion of the shank, grab it with needle nose pliers and lift up, rotate the barb 180 degrees and slide it back out the original entrance hole.
    I didn't feel a thing but I agree the wound should bleed so that it flushes.
    Sprocketmans situation is probably the easiest to remove. Just snip anywhere and pull it through.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

No wasn't an Option way back in a back lake Paddled to the spot and drove 20 min on Rough trail so the fix was then and there the trick was getting the pike off the other end while my would hand was ocupied that is a topic on its own (never go fishing without a set of Pliers that can easily cut the Largest hook you might use.........

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Yes that is What I finally did once the Pike was taken care of and the Funny thing was the instand the hook was out there was no Pain at all

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234