Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why I hate Pike

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Why I hate Pike

I'm 72 and have never had a hook stuck in me because of my own doing or I should say my own stupidity. Things kinda changed last week when the day started with me burying a treble in my butt. The Rap was left on the boat seat from the day before and I unceremoniously sat on the dang thing just as we were leaving the dock. You know who your friends are when they're asked to tend to this situation.
    Anyway, that got removed without too much pain or embarrassment and no one else on the lake seeing the shenanigans of my chum with his head up my butt.
    Unfortunately a little later on I had the misfortune of picking up a slimer aka hammer handle pike. So being the nice guy I am, I try to release it gently but with one flip it buried three trebles from my Rapala into the back of my hand. And I mean friggin buried! So I'm yelling at him to grab the paddle and either hit me or the damn pike over the head to stop the squirming. Today, I'm glad he chose the pike.
    Anyway, he was able to snip two of the hooks off leaving enough exposed to grab with the pliers. He then lifed the shank up, twisted the barb down 180 degrees and pulled it out through the hole in the skin. The third barb however slipped in deeper and I was left with it imbedded for the duration of the trip.
    That Involved a trip to the sawbones where they froze the knuckle and cut the remaining hook and barb out.
    So, the lessons finally learned after all these years--have a good pair of pliers on hand and a darn good friend who has no shame.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Sometimes barbless sounds good. I try to remember my pliers and kimpex.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Thanks SawBill for the morning smile...Old guys fishing, always plenty of laughs

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Sounds like a sore day! Glad you made out ok, and had a good buddy with you. Some of my "friends" would of just taken pictures!!
    "No one's interested in something you didn't do"

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Thanks Sawbill!! .........coffee out my nose!!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

A couple weeks ago was fishing just north of Kingston with my son and grandson - the boy is 8 years old and is on his first fishing trip - at the start I told him to fish from the front of the boat that way when he swings the rod it will carry the lure over the water - my son is in the back of the boat and I'm in the middle - well things are going ok then the kid banks the lure off my head and takes my hat off - I huller at him to be careful and do what I told him about where he is suppose to cast - sometime later he hooks my shirt which scares the heck out of me - so I take a Johnson silver minnow type lure and flattened the barb of the hook and put it on his line - during the day that thing wizzed pass my head a couple times so finally he was relegated to be the net man - he had more fun doing that then casting cause he was getting tired of casting anyway -

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    I'm 72 and have never had a hook stuck in me because of my own doing or I should say my own stupidity. Things kinda changed last week when the day started with me burying a treble in my butt. The Rap was left on the boat seat from the day before and I unceremoniously sat on the dang thing just as we were leaving the dock. You know who your friends are when they're asked to tend to this situation.
    Anyway, that got removed without too much pain or embarrassment and no one else on the lake seeing the shenanigans of my chum with his head up my butt.
    Unfortunately a little later on I had the misfortune of picking up a slimer aka hammer handle pike. So being the nice guy I am, I try to release it gently but with one flip it buried three trebles from my Rapala into the back of my hand. And I mean friggin buried! So I'm yelling at him to grab the paddle and either hit me or the damn pike over the head to stop the squirming. Today, I'm glad he chose the pike.
    Anyway, he was able to snip two of the hooks off leaving enough exposed to grab with the pliers. He then lifed the shank up, twisted the barb down 180 degrees and pulled it out through the hole in the skin. The third barb however slipped in deeper and I was left with it imbedded for the duration of the trip.
    That Involved a trip to the sawbones where they froze the knuckle and cut the remaining hook and barb out.
    So, the lessons finally learned after all these years--have a good pair of pliers on hand and a darn good friend who has no shame.
    LOL reminds me of a couple of guys at work who went on a Colorado Elk hunt,two of them in a tent and Gary had fallen into a prickly cactus bush with thorns all over his you know what,same sentence as he dropped his drawers and asked Bjorn how good a friend he was....LOL

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Another reason why you guys over 55 need to stay at home. LOL

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I'm going to stay the age I am. Smarter than today's and still agile.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

For me (70) getting older is not a problem . I still to the same stupid things only slower . Lol Rock On
    ' This is God's country don't make it look like Hell '
    OFAH member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast