Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why I hate Pike

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Haven not tried in years I will try this week. Send me a PM to remind me. I will take the challenge. I'm honest I don't know if I can beat it or not, but I will let you know.

My Dads the oldest male in 900 years on his side and he is 71 his brother is 54, their father my grandfather dies at 53 which was the previous max. I'm 49 (Although the girls at work think I'm in my mid thirties. )

I was actually just down your way 2 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    Not really my dad died last year at 102 and mum at 97, both active up until 4 years before their dead. I am in my early 60,s and can still run a 5k in 23 odd minutes.Whats your time for a 5k run GW, and I dont mean in your car.LOL

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

OK walking speed that takes 1 hour according to Google. I will try by Friday. I'm thinking 15 minutes. But I have not done any type of jogging in a long time, but I will give it a shot. I am going to shoot for say 18 minutes.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Always fished pike with a single barbless( barb removed) hook(s), with two bends on each side of the gap. Hook can not lay flat, and the point gets driven into the jaw by the fish biting on the lure.

You can catch and release till your arm is sore.
    The trouble is around northern Ontario pike and pickerel are found in the same water in most lake and river systems. I suspect its the same in your area too? So, those darn slimers are an incidental catch and pinching the barbs closed kinda defeats the purpose of catching and keeping for a fish fry at camp.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    OK walking speed that takes 1 hour according to Google. I will try by Friday. I'm thinking 15 minutes. But I have not done any type of jogging in a long time, but I will give it a shot. I am going to shoot for say 18 minutes.
    LOL your not going to run a 5k run in anything close to 15 minutes,in my best day I did it in 17min 20secs. You probably will not even break 30minutes unless your a natural runner,but I do love your optimism.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    The trouble is around northern Ontario pike and pickerel are found in the same water in most lake and river systems. I suspect its the same in your area too? So, those darn slimers are an incidental catch and pinching the barbs closed kinda defeats the purpose of catching and keeping for a fish fry at camp.
    I don't need a barb to keep a fish on a hook.
    If all the pike you are catching are tiny, something is wrong. Something or someone is eating them. If it's "something", well god help you and your rod the day you hook it because if it don't spool your reel it's going to break your rod.

Oh and I have been known to target pike with top water lures just for the sport of catch and release. Not too much down in SW Ontario, but in northern Alberta, Saskatchewan, NWT, and the Yukon. Nothing like hearing a reel with 20 to 30 pound test line scream like a F1 Race car.

Ask Kilo Charle about pike around Great Slave Lake and the Hay River.
    Last edited by Snowwalker; September 5th, 2018 at 04:04 PM.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

LOL your not going to run a 5k run in anything close to 15 minutes,in my best day I did it in 17min 20secs. You probably will not even break 30minutes unless your a natural runner,but I do love your optimism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    I don't need a barb to keep a fish on a hook.
    If all the pike you are catching are tiny, something is wrong. Something or someone is eating them. If it's "something", well god help you and your rod the day you hook it because if it don't spool your reel it's going to break your rod.

Oh and I have been known to target pike with top water lures just for the sport of catch and release. Not too much down in SW Ontario, but in northern Alberta, Saskatchewan, NWT, and the Yukon. Nothing like hearing a reel with 20 to 30 pound test line scream like a F1 Race car.

Ask Kilo Charle about pike around Great Slave Lake and the Hay River.
    Boy oh boy, this thread is getting entertaining? Between running, jogging and fishing, Im near out of breath just reading it? Keep it up boys!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Didn't have time today and the heat was 41. Plus my boss didn't want me to have a heart attack. Will try this weekend. I smoke a pack a day were going to see what I can do. I will try this weekend.

Yes I was a natural runner.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Snowwalker

Oh and I have been known to target pike with top water lures just for the sport of catch and release. Not too much down in SW Ontario, but in northern Alberta, Saskatchewan, NWT, and the Yukon. Nothing like hearing a reel with 20 to 30 pound test line scream like a F1 Race car.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the pickerel are eating them which is common in pickerel/pike waters. They'll feed on the pike fry shortly after they hatch in the shallows. So for this reason the pickerel outnumber the pike in most lakes but the pike can get fairly large as well. I just happened to tag onto one of the small ones. And while I don't fault someone else for catch and release fishing, I don't personally go for it so that's why I don't go barbless.
    I have also caught huge pike in the Hudsons Bay lowlands and you are right. They are a blast.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Didn't have time today and the heat was 41. Plus my boss didn't want me to have a heart attack. Will try this weekend. I smoke a pack a day were going to see what I can do. I will try this weekend.

Yes I was a natural runner.
    Great, so your saying your going to have your heart attack at mark's camp.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    ..... And while I don't fault someone else for catch and release fishing, I don't personally go for it so that's why I don't go barbless.
    I have also caught huge pike in the Hudsons Bay lowlands and you are right. They are a blast.
    We catch and release everything around here. Pike, crappie, carp. Caught a huge rainbow years ago out of lake Erie. Tasted like mud. Never kept anything after that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast