Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Tire Stores for Firearms which CT store in Ontario do you like best for gun shopping?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Canadian Tire Stores for Firearms which CT store in Ontario do you like best for gun shopping?

My own version of the good, the bad and the ugly.

Firstly, the good, let me say I really really like Canadian Tire despite the lack of sales help in some stores. As one of my former Managers said "when you are over 55 getting the Canadian Tire flyer every Thursday is almost better than sex". I can get so much "guy stuff" in one place it's great. I collect extra Canadian Tire money with my CT Master Card which I like to save for firearms and related products. They make returns easy (most stores). Most stores are well organized and well set up. Once you find a sales person they are usually good for Customer Service. Only two Canadian Tire stores are rated F in Ontario by the Better Business Bureau ( Robertson Road Nepean and Hyde Park London) and most of the rest were A+. The good news is that some stores have recently expanded their firearms section, such as Barrie South and others seem to have good selections all along including as I recently discovered while on holidays in Brockville and Smiths Falls. So, at some stores thanks to that store's individual efforts hunting and sporting firearms sales are alive and well.

Now for the bad. Many stores the used to carry firearms have recently gotten out of it (Orillia and Peterborough North) and the number is shrinking in the more urbanized areas of southern Ontario which is where I live. When you do call some Canadian Tire stores with a smaller selection of firearms (i.e. -Alliston) you often get a teenager who knows nothing about what they have. When you do get someone who can help you they often can tell you the model of a firearm (i.e. - the Ruger American ) but they usually cannot tell you without going to look at a box in the back which sub-model (i.e. - heavy barrel this years model, etcetera) to allow comparison shopping with other locations and competitors for the same thing.

Now for the ugly. Why should CT associate stores carry firearms when they get NO / NO support from the Canadian Tire head office? The Canadian Tire Proshops website is way out of date ( http://proshops.canadiantire.ca/en.html ). On that website you select stores that sell firearms, search and they still show Stouffville, Orillia, Peterborough North, Dufferin and 407, Richmond Hill South and so on as stores that sell firearms, only to find out when you call or visit they do not. Head office also does not allow the stores to put their firearms inventory on the main product website for stock and prices. You can find ammunition which you need a PAL for but not the firearms that can actually shoot it. I wrote an email to head office fall 2017 to express my disappointment in the inability to browse firearms online and they acknowledged the letter and said they would look into it and beyond that I have heard nothing further. It appears the head office seems to follow the political leanings of the anti-gun lobby not even acknowledging the difference between the types of hunting and sporting guns Canadian Tire sells and guns used in street crime. This is very disappointing to me as my earliest memories of Canadian Tire from the late sixties and early seventies were of the old Richmond Hill store at Yonge and Wright Street in Richmond Hill. I remember going in there with my dad and while he shopped I would stand at the firearms counter and gaze in awe at the shiny new rifles and shotguns behind the counter. I feel selling hunting and sporting firearms has been a part of Canadian Tires history which is directly tied to the history of the shooting sports in this province and CT head office is ruining that.

I want to continue to shop at Canadian Tire for my firearms. So, can folks out there in the OOD forums please let us know which Canadian Tire Store you like the most for firearms based upon and please describe factors such as firearms selection (including having the latest and in demand models), competitive pricing, knowledgeable and available firearms customer service staff, the stores willingness to order in firearms they don't have and price match with their competitors?

Love to hear from you on this.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My self, I would rather at any time , shop for firearms at a firearm dedicated store where you have in most case counter people who are knowledgeable in their product line, as again in most cases they are hunters / shooters themselves, and usually full time employees not the part time kids they have at CTC.
    CTC,are also limited as to where they can order from. I asked at the local store if they could order a particular gun for me and was told no, as our supplier does not handle that brand.I did this just to test them out, whereas at a dedicated gun store they will order your request for you .
    Last edited by jaycee; September 3rd, 2018 at 11:07 AM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    My self, I would rather at any time , shop for firearms at a firearm dedicated store where you have in most case counter people who are knowledgeable in their product line, as again in most cases they are hunters / shooters themselves, and usually full time employees not the part time kids they have at CTC.
    CTC,are also limited as to where they can order from. I asked at the local store if they could order a particular gun for me and was told no, as our supplier does not handle that brand.I did this just to test them out, whereas at a dedicated gun store they will order your request for you .
    What I have found out is that each Canadian Tire store is only as good with Firearms as that stores management want them to be. Stores I mentioned such as Barrie South and Brockville both had very knowledgeable older shooters who knew their guns and provide assistance and advice accordingly. So, in that sense those stores are similar to a dedicated firearms store. Each store is left on their own to find their own suppliers, wholesalers and distributors and therefore what one CT store can get is different than another CT store (including on pricing). Bizarre but true.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Paris Canadian Tire just got rid of all of their real firearms. Only have paintball, air soft and air rifles left.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KennyT View Post
    Paris Canadian Tire just got rid of all of their real firearms. Only have paintball, air soft and air rifles left.
    Sad, they cannot compete in a market where most people browse online first and then buy. Thank you Canadian Tire head office, NOT.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I’d just as well support the small mom & pop firearms dealers ,shops than the BIG box stores (even Canadian Tire) . May pay more (& I’m on a over 65 pension ) but figure it’s worth it , knowledge & all . Luck is an attitude , luck in the hunt .
    ' This is God's country don't make it look like Hell '
    OFAH member

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Canadian Tire in Cambridge (Dundas location) has about 100? firearms in stock. They price match ammo and guns, so that is good plus they will order anything you like. Oh you also get Canadian Tire money back with your purchase too
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Last Fall. I went to the Cambridge CTC Store looking for ?related items , [ waterproof hunting coat] what was there was beyond my reach , [high up ] the clothing rack was at least 18 inches past my outstretched arm.
    I mentioned this to the dept. mgr. he was indifferent to the idea of hanging them lower so customers could see and try them on.
    When asked about another brand , his answer was no , we only get and sell what you see here.
    Consequently , my wife and daughter and I drove to Cabela's the next day got what I and they wanted at sale prices , also items from their bargain bin, we were very well treated and well satisfied with their service, and above all we purchased better quality products, if any thing should go wrong , their warranty /return policy is bar non the best.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Each CT store is independently owned, the firearms section or lack there of is the decision the management of that store.

Remember how few people in SW Ontario actually shoot and on top of that how few buy new guns, there is not a lot of money in it and it takes a lot of space, properly licensed people on staff and certain display/storage requirements.

Gone are the days of having a rack of guns to grab and play with, that is the reality.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I wouldn't buy a gun at CTC regardless of assortment. I rather support a regional gunshop like Epps or Gagnon's.
    I 'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast