Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Shooting Birds

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Not Shooting Birds

I have a dog that has been hunted over for 6 years. Never had a problem with him. Still don't have a problem. The problem seems to be me. Last couple of times out he has pointed 14 birds. Problem: bush is still really thick so I either don't get a shot off or I miss (just a few times). My question. Does the absence of actually shooting down birds (repeatedly) negatively affect the dogs ability/desire to hunt? I have read that it can when the dog is young and still learning. Just wondering if it matters at all with older, experienced/finished dogs (which this one is). Perhaps I am worrying over nothing?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Think your worrying too much. For me the greatest reward for a pointer should be given for pointing, and staying steady too flush. If you missed the bird take a moment to praise the dog for a job well done.

Seen more than 1 dog ruined by focusing/rewarding the dog for bringing the bird back at all cost.\
    Now where is the pictures of the dog
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Field trial pointing dogs don't retrieve, some of the big farms/plantations run pointers to find birds and point, after the shot, they send labs to pickup the birds

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Don't worry about it. In my experience it will not effect their desire to hunt.
    OFAH, CSSA, NFA

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. As requested, a couple pictures of Jupiter!

20626633_10155498566323955_1565576363255243137_o.jpg
    21688476_10155607066648955_4930879707710421135_o.jpg

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bdog View Post
    some of the big farms/plantations run pointers to find birds and point, after the shot, they send labs to pickup the birds
    Yup! :-)
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UHCH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (500 pt clubs), HRCH-UHCH GMHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH, HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH, HR UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug SH WC, HR-UH Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum. Not getting to retrieve is not a problem .
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Water View Post
    That's what we are talking about. That dude doesn't need birds his mouth to be happy.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Great looking dog. If looks could tell, I'd say all business right there. And like the others have said, no need to worry. Finding and pointing out a bird for you is all that he needs to do...
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

Elite Member

User Info Menu

If hunting ability came from how many grouse I actually kill my dog would've quit 5 years ago lol. Hunting a lot of the time is rewarding itself.
    "You don't own a cocker, you wear one"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast