Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luther Marsh

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Luther Marsh

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi Guys ,
    Planning to head up to Luther Marsh for openner.. Used to go all the time but been 4 yrs since then.. anything changed in that time ?
    Going to scout it before it .. still lots of ducks for the openning day ? let me hear some info and feedback and thanks ahead !!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Hey there.

I have hunted Luther exclusively for the last 10 years. And longer before that but was young and very new. Unlike my father who would go all the time over the last 25 or more years.

Double check their user guide for cost. Opening day costs more than regular days.

Show up early. I usually arrive around 1 or 2am, and because of the hunter quantity limit, this is usually within the last 30 to 50 hunters allowed in.

You can go the night before and camp.

I believe they changed this process because too many people were showing up at 330am, letting dogs run wild. Trucks and boats everywhere. It was horrible.

Now... first come first served. And the first people come very early.

The gate is manned by a couple staff and sometimes a Provincial offenses officer, who take your payment and issue your permit for the day.

The staff have told us that some guys even go out to their preferred hunting spot and camp out in the marsh over night.

So... conclusion... if you show up at the usual 330am to check in at the booth, it's probably too late, and you won't be allowed in until hunters begin exiting the marsh.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks , we do the camping on one of the islands....Started to hunt Luther from 1982 on and had great experiences... Yes , the cost for
    Openning day is 25 dollars , i believe ! Is there still good hunting on the Openner ? It's a hit or miss sometimes picking a good spot !

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

We typically hear from the Staff and provincial officer and biologist that it's really depending on location. Rarely full limit. But usually more than enough to call it a successful day.

... But do hear a lot if guys calling it quit at noon with a single bird.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

If anyone goes for early goose please let us know how the water level is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Radartrap View Post
    If anyone goes for early goose please let us know how the water level is!

Was there on the weekend. I don't really recall the water level in September of last year but it definitely seems to be about 1-2ft lower then last year around Octobers time.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

In regards to the opener. What do you mean by camping out at your spot? Are you able to get in the water as soon as you check in? Say I show up the evening before?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Once they let us in through the gates on Friday afternoon , we head out with the boat and secure a spot and make camp, away from the shore !

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by S.S RICK View Post
    Was there on the weekend. I don't really recall the water level in September of last year but it definitely seems to be about 1-2ft lower then last year around Octobers time.

Last opener the water was the highest in the last 15 years years prior I had my front tires 10 in the water and still had to push the boat off the trailer

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Radartrap View Post
    Last opener the water was the highest in the last 15 years years prior I had my front tires 10 in the water and still had to push the boat off the trailer

Depends which launch you go to id assume. Usually have to drive in pretty deep for the launch at the SW corner of the marsh. Either way it's lower then last year for sure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast