Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8mm Mauser

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

The ballistics are similar to that of a 30.06. My first rifle was an old 98 from the Boer war that I bought for $35 back in 1976. I never shot anything with it, and misplaced the bolt when I went away to college. Never did find it so I turned the rifle over to the police for destruction, which I now regret doing. I never did remember what I did with the bolt.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

The best way to determine if the receiver is 96 or 98 is to check the bolt. On the 98's there is an addition locking lug just ahead of the bolt handle. It was a backup to the breech locking lugs, in the event that they should fail. There is a cut out in the receiver to accommodate it when the bolt is closed. When they converted Mauser rifles to Mauser shotguns, they fell back on this additional lug lock to lock the bolt as most of the grooving for the breech lug locks was remove to allow for the larger shotgun shell. In the 95 and 96's there is no additional locking lug ahead of the bolt handle, the breech lug locks being more than adequate to contain the chamber pressure.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    -Gun Nut

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I scoped the rifle, bore sighted it and took it out to the range on the weekend. I had the scope dialed in perfectly in three shots, and the open sights were already on-target. The accuracy of the factory ammunition was better than I expected, so I am comfortable using it for the upcoming deer season. I really like the rifle - despite the the fact that it is fairly light, even with 196gr bullets, the recoil is not bad. Over the winter I'll get set-up for handloading so that I can see what the rifle is really capable of.
    For what I paid for this rifle, you simply can't beat it with any newly produced rifle. I know everyone likes the feeling of buying a brand new rifle, but the used market has so many gems. They don't make 'em like they used to!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

What factory ammo are you shooting? Euro or American?

If you are shooting American stuff then you are probably shooting light loads.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

PPU 196 gr softpoints, so European.

Also, anyone know where I can get a sling which is less than 1" wide where it attaches to the sling swivel? The guy who sold me the rifle mentioned something about European shotgun slings.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    PPU 196 gr softpoints, so European.

Also, anyone know where I can get a sling which is less than 1" wide where it attaches to the sling swivel? The guy who sold me the rifle mentioned something about European shotgun slings.
    PPU is good brass, if it groups well for you then build up a stash.

Glad to hear the recoil is not too bad for you.

I think you could get a custom sling made up, do you know the width of the sling mount?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    Also, anyone know where I can get a sling which is less than 1" wide where it attaches to the sling swivel?
    Are you leaning more to leather strap or a web strap, which more than likely what was originally on the gun ?

Marstar has a good selection of them: https://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/category.jsp?catid=75149

Also, we should set up a meet in Kemptville so I can pass on some of that Mil Surp ammo for you to plink with.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    PPU is good brass, if it groups well for you then build up a stash.

Glad to hear the recoil is not too bad for you.

I think you could get a custom sling made up, do you know the width of the sling mount?
    Yes, I was going to buy some PPU ammo at the Stittsville range when I was there, but they didn't have any. 40 cases would probably be enough because I don't plan to reload extensively for it. I just want to get a reasonably accurate hunting load and leave it at that.
    I haven't measured the sling swivel, but it is visibly less than the standard 1" used nowadays. Probably 0.75 or maybe even 0.5"

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    Are you leaning more to leather strap or a web strap, which more than likely what was originally on the gun ?

Marstar has a good selection of them: https://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/category.jsp?catid=75149

Also, we should set up a meet in Kemptville so I can pass on some of that Mil Surp ammo for you to plink with.
    I'll check out what Marstar has to offer. I think this gun deserves a leather sling - it's so nice looking that I don't think a web sling would do it justice. It's a "commercial Mauser", so I guess people just put whatever they wanted on it as opposed to a military gun. Thanks for the offer to meet up and sell me some milsurp ammo. I'll probably be bowhunting deer in the general area one morning this weekend, maybe I could stop by afterwards. I'll PM you to get more details later this week.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Got me missing my 98 which I haven't shot in many years. Was a gift from my uncle to go on my first moose hunts, later changed to a rifle with a scope.

I remember that it didn't like the Remington Core-Lokt. They have big round lead noses and would shave chunks of lead off when feeding rounds. It did like the Winchester rounds which are more pointed. They fed nice without damage to the head. Haven't tried other brands, couldn't find any, not typically in stock. Buy multiple boxes of rounds when the opportunity allows.

As for recoil and use, similar to .308 or .30-06 category. Can use on all Ontario big game. Would limit to under 100 yards on moose and elk to get pass through. Deer and Bear, works great. Typical from that caliber of gun, you feel the a manageable kick when sighting in on a bench with two boxes, don't notice the kick when shooting a single shot at an animal while buck rush is surging.

I may pick up a box of Winchester now for open sight deer stalking again. Make it two boxes, need to get confident with open sights again.
    One Shot = One Kill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12