Thread: Traveling Through the USA to Hunt in Canada?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Traveling Through the USA to Hunt in Canada?

A couple of friends and I are driving to Saskatchewan for a hunt next month. We will drive and cut through the USA. I can find reference that there is a special exemption from firearm import regulations for Canadian's who do this but I would like to be fully prepared to minimize hassle at the border. Has anyone done this recently? If you could share your experience I (and perhaps others) would appreciate it.

I assume you have to check in with Canada customs as well to get some documentation that you had the firearm with you when you left so they don't think you are importing it when you come back into the country.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

We do this every year, sometimes twice per year. You need a Canadian customs blue card as you mentioned. I still have my old registration certs. And use them to prove ownership in canada. You will need your pal as well. There is a document on the ATF site, dealing with non-imigrant aliens. It sets out that Canadians passing through the States no longer require a Form 6, or hunting licence from any US state. I keep a copy of that as well. Usually we tell them right away that you are passing through and back into canada, and that you have firearms. Usually, they send us in and they run your firearms through the computers to see if they are stolen etc...we have never had an issue crossing the border. Just make sure you have all your documents at the ready.
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...m%2Fammunition
    Last edited by rick_iles; September 7th, 2018 at 06:10 AM.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I do this every year but always get the form 6 and submit well in advance as I stay two nights on my way to SK in the USA. I never bothered with the Canadian blue card and have had no issues in 15 years of making the trip.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
    I do this every year but always get the form 6 and submit well in advance as I stay two nights on my way to SK in the USA. I never bothered with the Canadian blue card and have had no issues in 15 years of making the trip.
    The last time I applied for a Form 6, I got it back stamped: Partially approved. A Form 6 is not required when transiting the United States.
    I keep that in my folder as well. If you stay a couple nights in the US, good idea to get the Form 6.....just in case !
    I’ve been crossing the border for 35 years or so with no issues. There’s been a few changes in all those years !!

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, before I retired I worked in the USA a lot and crossed the border hundreds of times. I always try to be very careful, truthful and prepared. I downloaded the form 6NIA application a few weeks ago and was going to apply but it reads to me that to be eligible I need to show that either I had been invited to a gun show or shoot of some kind in the USA or I had a valid hunting license from a US state. As I have neither and it is not my intention to attend a shoot or hunt in the USA I did not want to suggest I was.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I don't know about a blue card, I have a green card that I use for crossing the US. Its says on it:
    IDENTIFICATION OF ARTICLES FOR TEMPORARY EXPORTATION
    Bring your fire arm with you to Canada Customs ask for a GREEN card , they will come out to your vehicle and write the serial number and description , on a GREEN card .
    I have done this for the last 5 years and have never had a problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUDGE View Post
    I don't know about a blue card, I have a green card that I use for crossing the US. Its says on it:
    IDENTIFICATION OF ARTICLES FOR TEMPORARY EXPORTATION
    Bring your fire arm with you to Canada Customs ask for a GREEN card , they will come out to your vehicle and write the serial number and description , on a GREEN card .
    I have done this for the last 5 years and have never had a problem.
    Hahaha....yea, I’ve had mine for so long it has turned blue.
    If you kept your old registration certs, that’s all you need.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I get an Indiana Game Farm permit on line for $17.00 ( can't remember exact) another is Alaska as it it available all year and submit it with the form 6. The last application took five days from the date I faxed the application to the date the returned the authorization by e-mail. I then purchase the state licences I require when they become available. I have seen 6 weeks waiting for the form 6 authorization to be returned.
    "Without Proper Management Wild Life Becomes Your Next Hood Ornament"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BDH View Post
    I get an Indiana Game Farm permit on line for $17.00 ( can't remember exact) another is Alaska as it it available all year and submit it with the form 6. The last application took five days from the date I faxed the application to the date the returned the authorization by e-mail. I then purchase the state licences I require when they become available. I have seen 6 weeks waiting for the form 6 authorization to be returned.
    You don’t need to do all that unless you plan on hunting in the States. The OP will be just passing through.
    At one time, we needed a US licence from any State when crossing the States and back into Canada... that’s all been changed.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I just thought I would let everyone know what I discovered yesterday. I wanted to get the form BSF407 (Green Card) before we leave on trip but was not keen on driving all the way to the border to get it which is a fair drive for me. Yesterday I was dropping one of my sons at the Hamilton Airport, which is just a short drive, and noticed a Canadian Border Security office there. I popped in and asked and they were very friendly and accommodating. Yes they can issue these from this office so I will take my guns there next week. They said no need to bring in office. They will just come out to my truck to confirm serial numbers and issue and stamp the card.

I imagine similar CBS offices are at all of the regional airports in Ontario that have any international flights. May be more convenient for others as well.