Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coming soon...New fishing and hunting licensing service and regulations

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Coming soon...New fishing and hunting licensing service and regulations

Coming soon...New fishing and hunting licensing service and regulations

New fishing and hunting licensing service and regulations
    In November 2018, we will introduce a new online licensing service – and we want to ensure you know what’s changing.

This page lists information about these changes, including new rules and regulations for Ontario anglers and hunters.

There are two key dates related to these changes:
    November 26, 2018
    January 1, 2019

But nothing is changing yet: all the information you need on fishing and hunting regulations and current licence requirements throughout the transition will continue to be available at Ontario.ca/fishing and Ontario.ca/hunting.

From November 19 to November 25, 2018 – you can’t buy hunting and fishing licences...
    While we get the new online service up and running, there will be a no sales period. You won’t be able to buy fishing and hunting products online, at licence issuers or at ServiceOntario locations until November 26, 2018. Make sure you buy your 2018 hunting licences that are accompanied by a game seal before November 19.

From November 19 to December 31, 2018 – you can’t buy 2018 hunting licences that are accompanied by a game seal
    Plan ahead, purchase early and keep your licences and game seals in a safe place.

As of November 26, 2018 – you can use the new fishing and hunting website...

Once the new fishing and hunting licensing service launches, use it to buy a:
    2018 Outdoors Card – fishing licences or a small game licences
    2019 Outdoors Card – fishing and hunting licence products during their regular seasonal timeframes
    You can also go to licence issuers and participating ServiceOntario locations to get a licence.

As of November 26, 2018 – new fishing and hunting regulations are in effect...
    A number of rules and regulations for fishing in Ontario are changing in 2018.

You’ll get one version of the Outdoors Card...
    there won’t be three separate cards for fishing, hunting or apprentice hunters – but you’ll still need to carry your Outdoors Card
    Your Outdoors Cards issued before November 19 will be valid until their expiry date
    We’ll track hunter accreditation in the new licensing website to determine what licence you can buy
    If you’re hunting with a gun, you must carry your firearms licence – or proof that you completed the Canadian firearms safety course – and present it to a conservation officer upon request
    Small game and fishing licences can still be printed on the back of your Outdoors Card
    You’ll get one licence summary that lists all your valid fishing and hunting products
    There won’t be multiple formats of your licences. Instead you:
    will get your licence summary as soon as you buy it, either online, at licence issuers or at ServiceOntario locations

You will not receive anything in the mail

You will have the option to print your licence summary at home, have a licence issuer or ServiceOntario print it for you, or carry it in a digital format on your smartphone

You must carry your licence summary when hunting or fishing, unless your licence is listed on the back of your Outdoors card (for example, small game or fishing)

If you’re a member of the RCMP and Canadian armed forces – it’ll be easier for your family to fish in Ontario

You and your immediate family members will qualify for a resident fishing licence after living in Ontario for one month. We may ask for proof of residency.

As of January 1, 2019 – more hunting regulations come into effect
    A number of rules and regulations for hunting will change in 2019.
    Tags will replace game seals

Up until December 31, 2018, the process will stay the same.

Once the regulation comes into effect, you’ll be able to print your tags at home, at a licence issuer or a participating ServiceOntario location.

You must also:
    ensure the paper tags are protected from the weather elements, intact and legible at all times

notch tags with the date, month and time immediately after the kill and before moving the animal

carry the tag at all times, it is required to be securely attached if you are not accompanying the animal or immediately available to produce the tag for inspection

Mandatory hunter reporting
    The current harvest reporting process involves different reports and voluntary postcard surveys when you harvest an animal.

We replaced this with mandatory hunting reporting, which will be more consistent and streamlined.

Mandatory hunter reporting will apply if you’re issued a tag for moose, deer, elk, black bear, wild turkey and wolf or coyote

You are required to complete your report even if you didn’t hunt or harvest an animal

You will submit reports by phone or on our new online licensing service once it launches – you will no longer receive postcards by mail

If you’re an apprentice hunter aged 12 to 14 – we’re changing the Hunter Apprenticeship Safety Program
    With the purchase of an Outdoors Card, you’ll be able to buy your own licence and tag if they’re not obtained through a draw (for example, small game licence, wild turkey tag, deer licence with antlered deer tag)

You’ll be required to purchase an Outdoors Card whether or not you wish to purchase your own licences as we have eliminated the hunter apprenticeship safety card

You can use your existing hunter apprenticeship card until it expires if purchased prior to November 19, 2018

All other rules under the Hunter Apprenticeship Safety Program stay the same , including sharing a single firearm, hunting with a licensed mentor, and being under the direct and immediate supervision of a mentor.

Combined dog licences
    Three different types of dog licences will be combined into a single dog licence.
    Dogs and dog handlers who are tracking or recovering a wounded deer, moose or elk will be exempt from requiring a licence when:
    the dog handler does not carry a gun
    your dog is under your physical control and is on a leash that’s a maximum length of 10 metres
    the dog and the dog handler are accompanied by the licensed hunter who wounded the animal

Hunting on a game bird hunting preserve
    You now will require:
    a valid Outdoors Card
    proof of hunter accreditation
    firearms accreditation if hunting with a gun
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Does any-one else see an issue with this one? What can be done to prevent duplicating a seal over & over again? IE: multiple harvests with one seal...

Once the regulation comes into effect, you’ll be able to print your tags at home, at a licence issuer or a participating ServiceOntario location.

You must also:
    ensure the paper tags are protected from the weather elements, intact and legible at all times

notch tags with the date, month and time immediately after the kill and before moving the animal

carry the tag at all times, it is required to be securely attached if you are not accompanying the animal or immediately available to produce the tag for inspection

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    Does any-one else see an issue with this one? What can be done to prevent duplicating a seal over & over again? IE: multiple harvests with one seal...

You must also:

Tons of potential problems, I think one way of stopping the multiple prints and using them is the call in the kill and nullify the tag, but I have been given flak on here for that before so I will stop there.

The key here is that poachers will poach no matter what, this will make it easier for them if they choose to.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Tons of potential problems, I think one way of stopping the multiple prints and using them is the call in the kill and nullify the tag, but I have been given flak on here for that before so I will stop there.

The key here is that poachers will poach no matter what, this will make it easier for them if they choose to.
    It's not hard to make the printer spit out six or seven copies when you print it, or photocopy the poop out it. Carry one, shoot your deer, notch out date/time, and take it home. A few days later pocket another copy, shoot deer, notch, take home. Repeat...repeat.

So many problems.
    It will almost be as bad as the joke about the CO holding last years deer license and the hunter saying" Yes that's last year's license, cause I'm still trying to shot my deer from last year."

Even if you are not going to cheat, how many guys will print a couple extras for insurance, just because it's only a piece of paper. Do I now have to go down to Staples and buy a Laminating machine, or get all my tags and licenses laminated at the service desk. I am sorry, some random person is not going to tell me to come back in an hour, then walk off with my licenses and tags.

I have seen the dumb butt things that people that are against hunting will do.

For example: Watched a BCSPCA employee tear up a guy's Migratory License, and tell him she could charge him for hunting because Canada Geese are endangered and protected.
    Last edited by Snowwalker; September 6th, 2018 at 10:53 AM.
    Sic Gorgia Mus Allos Subjectatos Nunc.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

There will be mechanism there to only allow one print.
    Copying will be another issue....time will tell. I’m sure the powers that be have covered all bases....

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    I think the mandatory reporting is intended to cover this. Massive PITA created to support imaginary convenience of printing tags at home.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    There will be mechanism there to only allow one print.
    Copying will be another issue....time will tell. I’m sure the powers that be have covered all bases....
    Print to pdf 1 time, print that to paper as many as you want
    Aim Small, Miss Small

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 300Sniper View Post
    Print to pdf 1 time, print that to paper as many as you want
    Yup I print everything to a pdf first, and then send it to the printer. Always get a second, third, fourth,.....chance if something goes wrong with printing on paper.
    Sic Gorgia Mus Allos Subjectatos Nunc.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=300Sniper;1067567]Print to pdf 1 time, print that to paper as many as you want[/QUOTE

PDF......I thought that was a life preserver ....

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Does the mandatory harvest reporting mean within a set number of hours similar to turkey hunting or by a set date after the season has closed?. If it was the former then it might eliminate the availability of printing/using multiple tags.

Here is the paragraph from the regs regarding turkey harvest reporting.

Successful turkey hunters must report their harvested turkey by nolater than 12:00 noon, the day after the bird was harvested. Thereare now two options for harvest reporting. Hunters may report theirharvest online by selecting the log in link at ontario.ca/harvestreportingor by calling toll-free 1-800-288-1155. If you complete your reportonline you can save or print the report you submitted as yourrecord. If you complete your harvest report by telephone, record theconfirmation number provided at the end of the call and keep it as arecord that you have reported.
    Last edited by 30cal4me; September 6th, 2018 at 05:03 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast