Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WMU 65 - Small Game with .223

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default WMU 65 - Small Game with .223

ADVERTISEMENT
    My brother just gave me his Remington 700 .223 which I intended to use primarily for target shooting.

I'm looking now to get back into hunting after a 15-year absence. The last time I hunted regularly, I was living on PEI and it was mostly waterfowl with a shotgun, not Ontario with a rifle. I'm wondering what kind of small game is available in WMU 65 (just south of Ottawa) and is permissible/recommended to hunt with a .223.

Any feedback to help me get the ball rolling and get back to hunting is greatly appreciated.

Dean

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Check the municipalities you plan to hunt, some of them have restrictions on the firearms you can use, these will not be listed in the hunting regulations.

There are coyotes out there in WMU65, lots of them, there are rabbits but a 223 is a bit big for that, groundhogs if you can find a farm with them (coyotes have done a number on them), fox are around, not really sure what else you would consider using a 223 on, anything you would eat that is small game are too small for a 223.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Check the municipalities you plan to hunt, some of them have restrictions on the firearms you can use, these will not be listed in the hunting regulations.

There are coyotes out there in WMU65, lots of them, there are rabbits but a 223 is a bit big for that, groundhogs if you can find a farm with them (coyotes have done a number on them), fox are around, not really sure what else you would consider using a 223 on, anything you would eat that is small game are too small for a 223.
    Thanks for the response Fox!

I do keep hearing about farmers having issues with coyotes near where I live. That's probably a good place to start.

223 does seem a little big for most small game. I suppose I should look into getting a .22 as well.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Fox is pretty much bang on. My .223 gets used almost exclusively for coyotes and groudhogs in WMU 65, but gets dragged with me on the tractor, logging or in the truck.
    Rod Embree
    KMG Hunting Safaris

Member for Life

User Info Menu

For the most part WMU 65 is shotgun only. Deer is shotgun only and Moose is bow only. As the others said small game consists of Yotes, Foxes, Rabbits, Squirrels, grouse. A 223 is definitely good for Yotes.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Are groundhogs edible?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    For the most part WMU 65 is shotgun only. Deer is shotgun only and Moose is bow only. As the others said small game consists of Yotes, Foxes, Rabbits, Squirrels, grouse. A 223 is definitely good for Yotes.
    Shotgun-only is a municipal rule?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

MNR law.

WMU is shotgun only for big game which is deer. Moose is bow only if your lucky and when the lottery. Outside of big game season you can use anything for small game hunting. However for small game excluding Yotes or maybe fox a shotgun is more practical.

But always check the Regs

Quote Originally Posted by dhansen View Post
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

MNR law.

WMU is shotgun only for big game which is deer. Moose is bow only if your lucky and when the lottery. Outside of big game season you can use anything for small game hunting. However for small game excluding Yotes or maybe fox a shotgun is more practical.

But always check the Regs

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Are groundhogs edible?
    Well, the basic answer is yes. They are grass fed just like rabbits, fatty but they both edible.
    Sic Gorgia Mus Allos Subjectatos Nunc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast