Thread: Salmon activity

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Salmon activity

I'm heading to Algoma country next week. I won't give any specific names for creeks known for salmon run or anything. Just wondering if you guys in that region noticed any activities like, did they already gather at the mouth yet or are they swimming up the creeks already? The difference is very important because when they run up the creeks, it usually means that the meat is no good for eating - they're alrady half dead

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

The meat is still good to eat if you get them early in the river. The longer they stay in the river the longer they are decomposing alive.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Pinks have started to trickle into the creeks north of Sault. That's about it in the creeks/streams so far though.
    Dave Barrett ~ Fly Fish Ontario.ca ~ Professional Fish Bum

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Around Ottawa

Quote Originally Posted by baraz View Post
    Pinks have started to trickle into the creeks north of Sault. That's about it in the creeks/streams so far though.
    I just moved to Gatineau from BC and I am looking for some Salmon runs. Anyone know of any closeby?
    Thanks

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Finally some decent runs happening north of Sault. We had near 100mm of rain over the last 48 hours though, so most rivers are completely shot and blown for a few days. I suspect that by Monday it'll be game on for every stream in the region.

Dave Barrett ~ Fly Fish Ontario.ca ~ Professional Fish Bum