Thread: No goose but got a coyote

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default No goose but got a coyote

I went out for early geese and took my .223 along just encase I came across a coyote. After getting all my decoys setup and as first light came and went, nothing was flying. I honked and honked but did not see or hear anything until about 6:50 am.... I look down the hay field and up against the corn I see a couple of coyotes playing around. I slip back and go grab my .223 and mouth distress calls; I slowly make my way back, get into position and scream out with some dying rabbit sounds. Coyotes look at me but aren't coming closer staying a good 350 yds or more away. After about 10 minutes of this, I decide to back out and make my way (hidden by a treeline) to the corn. I step into the 3rd row of corn and sneak my way up toward the coyotes. As I near the last known area, I see a set of ears in the hay. This coyote is laying down/hiding in the hay. I don't see the other one so decide to concentrate on this one. Sneaking in between the 1st and 2nd corn row, I setup my shooting sticks, rest my rifle on it and get ready. I let out a "HEY" he looks my way but doesn't stand, I had to yell out a couple more times before he finally stands exposing his vitals. At the crack of the gunshot he falls. Not a big coyote, this years pup but a coyote nevertheless. Stayed for another hour and still no geese anywhere to be seen....

[
    Last edited by fratri; September 10th, 2018 at 01:53 PM.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Nicely done!

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Good job.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Well done sir

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Well done Frank!
    Rod Embree
    KMG Hunting Safaris

User Info Menu

one less yote is always good congrats
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

nice one. i've had deer walk in front of my while the decoys were out and i know those coyotes are always watching and waiting on them. good shots!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Good on ya for drilling the coyote. Once they don't see Coyotes around,Geese will start dropping in. Good luck with the rest of the hunt.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

User Info Menu

Nice work!
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Yes nice. I was out a few years back, no geese to be seen. Farmer came out as I was getting ready to pack it in. I look over field and a deer running past about 250yds out I said that strange, than yote comes out chasing it. I took a long lead and let go with shot gun, it took to shots to scare the yote back to where it started and left the deer alone.