Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black bear baiting

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default Black bear baiting

We have tried several different concoctions of sweets, donuts, canned cat and dog food over the years and after all of the testing have settled on a simple recipe.

Cheap dry dog food covered in molasses. I add a good dose of molasses on the sticks I jam in the feed hole and spray anise on tree branches around the bait sight.

What is your favorite bait
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

we like using wheat that has been mixed with used cooking oil and we like to add in sweets like gummy worms or jujubes and a good coating of chocolate or icing.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

For me it depends on the container. In my roller barrel it was cheap dry dog food, whole corn and fresh popcorn that I sprinkled with fruit drink powder and sprayed it all down with cheap vanilla. Just a small hole so things need to stay fairly dry. In my cans it was whatever waste outdated bakery products from the grocery store I could get(free), again sprayed with vanilla if there was a lot of plain bread in the mix.
    I've never used meat much except as an initial call bait but if you know any goose hunters, bears really like the carcasses, specially if they're just breasted out. Every time I've hung them they never lasted long and were always dragged away.

Cheers

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Spread peanut butter on old logs, or pour hot bacon grease on trees and logs..

You can ask line052 about how well bacon grease on a tree works.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I use roller barrels filled with the following batch:

270 lbs whole corn
    25 lbs fresh molasses
    20 lbs of factory second marshmellows

That mix completely fills a 55 gallon drum if it is empty. My current cost per batch is $53 or right on $0.168 per pound. The bears have been hammering this for the last 3 weeks with one site in particular going through a 315 lb batch every 4 or 5 days. My other 2 sites currently seem to last 7 to 10 days. Will be taking my BIL and nephew out on the weekend to try and get them their first bears. I also use anise as a call lure and pour 1 or 2 ounces into a rotten stump each time I visit. As a side benefit I am eating way too many marshmellows dipped in molasses.

When filling the barrels I put a quarter bag (about 22 lbs) of corn in at a time and than add a 1.5-2 lb layer of marshmellow. Once the barrel is full I add the molasses on top of everything.
    Last edited by Species8472; September 10th, 2018 at 08:32 PM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Great recipes folks, thanks for sharing
    Species, how much does your 25lbs of molasses cost

OFAH and CCFR member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmachine View Post
    Great recipes folks, thanks for sharing
    Species, how much does your 25lbs of molasses cost
    Price goes up and down a bit. But the last batch was $7 or $0.28 per pound.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Is that in the liquid form?

OFAH and CCFR member

User Info Menu

Yep. I bring my own 5 gallon carboys and they fill them with +/- 50 lbs.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Where do you get the molasses from? I'm seeing it for about $20/gallon - about $2.00 per pound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast