Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black bear baiting

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    Where do you get the molasses from? I'm seeing it for about $20/gallon - about $2.00 per pound.
    Kenilworth feed service. They have a bunch of mills. I specifically get it from the Grand Valley mill. They have a spigot off the pump line that feeds their mixers. Takes about 90 seconds to fill a 5 gallon car boy.

Price seems to bounce between $0.28 to $0.33 per pound
    Last edited by Species8472; September 12th, 2018 at 11:29 AM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmachine View Post
    We have tried several different concoctions of sweets, donuts, canned cat and dog food over the years and after all of the testing have settled on a simple recipe.

Cheap dry dog food covered in molasses. I add a good dose of molasses on the sticks I jam in the feed hole and spray anise on tree branches around the bait sight.

What is your favorite bait
    Bacon grease and smeared on a stump? My buddy swears by it. I think I posted this before,but,he cooks his bacon&eggs breakfast before first light where he hunts and dumps the scrapings out on a log where he has his tree stand. If there's Bears within a mile,they're not long showing up.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    Where do you get the molasses from? I'm seeing it for about $20/gallon - about $2.00 per pound.
    I think a lot of the livestock supply places carry molasses. For instance the Wool Growers in Carleton Place carries it in bulk at 60¢/lb.

Cheers

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

first time baiting, used popcorn dog food maple syrup and some strawberry jello packs. within 3 days we've had a bear show up. camera wasnt working, but swapped it out and can hopefully see how big he is

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post
    I think a lot of the livestock supply places carry molasses. For instance the Wool Growers in Carleton Place carries it in bulk at 60¢/lb.

Cheers
    THX - having trouble finding it cheap around here.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I've got a decent hike into my stand so tend to stick with popcorn. Its cheap, light and lasts in my roller barrel. I start the year with some fryer grease but from then on it all popcorn. I might add a cheap syrup to it from time to time, if I find some on sale.

reading all the other options people use, it seems like anything works. I think I spent about $15 on popcorn last year and had a number of bears coming in. Have seen 5 different bears this year after a week of baiting. So I'm going to stick with my cheap and easy option. I don't think it needs to be overthought. Perhaps if you have baiting competition nearby, but otherwise, they are happy to eat most anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12